Friday, February 13, 2009

Telling our families . . .


So, backing up and starting some story time . . . Trevor and I found out about this little baby very early in the morning on Saturday, December 20th. I will always remember waking Trevor up with a soft shout, and the way he hopped out of bed (later he said he thought I'd thrown up . . . and that he suspected I was pg - which he did, he was the one who thought I should test). Anyways, it was a memorable day for us, as we were packing up to head back home to Bismarck for Christmas the next day. Two friends, one from high school, the other my maid of honor, both got stranded here with canceled flights. We had a good old party with them and then all packed up the next day for the trek west (which, by the way was a blast - our friends are hilarious and made the trip fly).

I just remember feeling like we were keeping the biggest secret from everyone, and it was SO HARD to not tell my brother (who lives with us). But we had it all planned out - we wanted all of each of our families to be together when we told them, so we waited a few days . . .

And then on Tuesday night my bro arrived in Bis, and we said we wanted to give them all a Christmas gift (and did the same with all of Trev's side on Christmas Eve). We tried to turn it into a guessing game, with these clues:

  1. It's very small, but will hopefully last a very long time.
  2. We gave them a jar of "Prego" spaghetti sauce (get it, Prego?!?). The guesses for that one were funny! My mom was saying something about being "traditional" because that was on the label. Trevor's mom guessed that we were cooking them a meal or going to Italy. It was fun.
  3. Trevor wore a certain t-shirt that my dad had bought him several years ago in VA at a Macy's clearance rack. You can hopefully see it in one of the pictures below . . . bright yellow, big horse, the word "STUD". Enough said - we always said he'd wear it when we announced pregnancy.

Well, interestingly enough, when we told my side of the fam, it was my bro who guessed. Trev's side of the fam, one of his brothers guessed. I think it's something about the parents not wanting to guess "baby" and then be wrong! Both tellings were memorable and received wonderful reponses of shock and awe and delight. And really, it was just so special to be able to share the gift in person, and to know that we have such amazing family to support and love us and any of our children. We are thankful.

And now, the pics.

Telling the "Pans" . . .



At the Pope's - a better view of the Prego and T-shirt


And another at the bottom here just for fun - feeling maybe relieved that the secret is out . . . I remember shaking the first MANY times that we told anyone.

As a side note, we announced to friends a little differently:

Trevor: "I impregnated my wife."
Andrea: "I got knocked up."

No matter how you say it, it's really fun news to share - thanks to all for your love and support. It's funny. People have babies everyday, but when it's YOU, it becomes the biggest deal in the world.



2 comments:

  1. Loved all the details! I've been humming that song since I read your post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun story. Your parents must have really been holding it in. 5 years married and it wasn't the first guess? We had our parents over for dinner 6 months after we got married for social reasons and they asked what the big announcement was. Everytime I got the flu they asked if I was pregnant. How did neither of your parents immediately guess baby???

    ReplyDelete