Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The soundtrack of life

I fully realize this is not a novel idea, but last night Trevor and I were discussing the different soundtracks for the various years of our lives. I had this moment of, "Oh my gosh, we need to find a SONG for this time in our lives - for the baby!" You know, one that we'll look back on forever and turn to each other when we hear it in the mall, at Subway or on SNAP fitness's radio system (because these are the only places in my life to reference right now that play oldies and goodies, such as Ace of Base's "The Sign"). Like now, when we're eating our yummy and very classy Subway dinners and hear Aerosmith's "Angel", which we inevitably do about every other time we dine in there (which of course means either they play it a lot or we eat there unreasonably much) and I say to Trev, "Oh, it's 'Angel' . . . remember our prom night . . . wow, I was so mad at you that night, and I can't believe you got so sick . . . "

I'd love to hear YOUR soundtracks for life.

Some others of ours include:
- Rascal Flatt's "I Miss Mayberry" for when we moved to the East Coast
- The entire Elizabethtown soundtrack for when we moved cross country back to the Midwest
- Alison Krause for the middle of our time on the East Coast
- The last couple years: Nathan, Brandi Carlisle, Dan in Real Life

And my personal faves from growing up:

- The Cranberries "Linger" and Guns n Roses' "November Rain" for all those terribly uncomfortable Junior High dances
- Of course, Ace of Base's "The Sign" for all those volleyball practices
- "Three Princes" (by ????) for carpooling days
- Anything Boyz II Men for basically all of late elementary/middle school sleepovers
- As I moved into high school . . . Jars of Clay, The Beatles' "Hey Jude"
- College . . . Nickel Creek's "When you Come Back Down", Jamestown College Concert Choir, Nellly Fortado's "I'm Like a Bird", anything Norah Jones

The latest song obsession we could come up with for the past couple months is from the new James Bond movie. It's not appropriate for a soundtrack to represent this time in our lives, so we're still thinking.

And notice I'm worried about things like life soundtracks, but don't seem to care all too much that what I really need is a good pair of maternity pants and workout clothes so people don't have to see my open fly at work and overhanging belly as I use the elliptical. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when you could get a whole bunch of free cds if you purchased a couple more? That's the soundtrack for my post-21 year old days - Semisonic, Wilco, Pete Droge, Indigo Girls, 10,000 Maniacs, The Black Crows. I can definitely see how I got to where I am now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have my whole life broken down quite as organized as you but there are definate theme songs in my life and I appreciate the fact that I am not alone in this.

    Tiny Bubbles by the guy who sang it at the nursing home. It is our anniversary theme song. We stayed at a bed and breakfast a few years ago for our anniversary and there was a nursng home next door having a live outdoor polka band. We couldn't see them at all but could hear them perfectly from our little private screened porch. I told John it was like having the theme music from my head actually playing out for everyone else to hear. It was just perfect. At another B&B they had Enya CD's we listened to so that makes us feel all relaxed and couplish too.

    Funky Cold Medina for high school and going to the Gold Rush on Teen night. John is suggesting Bust a Move for the same period and place.

    Garth Brooks for our early marriage.

    Evie for my early childhood.

    Fun stuff to think about. I look forward to finding out what the pregnancy theme song is. :)

    ReplyDelete