Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Soothing statements

Phrases I never thought I'd be so happy to hear (from my first OB appt. this morning):
  • "Those are strong, real heart sounds - not just 'whoosh whoosh'."
  • "The baby is basically bulletproof right now - almost nothing you do can hurt it right now." (I was worried after taking a nasty spill on ice last week).
  • "You can eat lunch meat in moderation."
  • "Your uterus is right where it should be."
  • "There is an almost zero chance of miscarriage at this point."
  • "You've gained five pounds - I'm glad to see that."

Aside from all those soothing statements, I was comforted by the cross pin on the doctor's coat lapel. I feel so protected and provided for, I practically skipped out of the clinic.

Ever since we found out that I'm pregnant, I've been waiting to have that one startling and memorable moment of ecstatic realization - more specifically, a good cry fest that wells from joy. Well, I finally had it on my drive into work this morning after the appointment. The sobs came as I listened to the song "Untitled Hymn" by Chris rice.

You can listen here.

The lyrics that really got me were:

"Now your burden's lifted
And carried far away
And precious blood has washed away the stain, so
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus
Sing to Jesus and live"

I think up to this point I've been so fearful that something would go wrong (specifically miscarriage), that to have made it to this "safe" point feels like such a relief. I fully plan on writing about all that fear at a later time - it's a big issue!

and this verse . . .

"O, and when the love spills over
And music fills the night
And when you can't contain your joy inside, then
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus
Dance for Jesus and live"

If I could've danced in my car, I almost might have (I'm not much of a dancer!). Listening to this song I was just reminded of the brevity of life, and what a gift it is to see and know this little one from its very beginning. Trevor and I are so thankful, and mindful that today is a gift and that God has tomorrow taken care of, and He has all of this baby's tomorrows taken care of too.

And as a perfect end to this memorable day . . . some dear neighbors of our's came over for dinner and then had us to their home to watch their pg videos and birth video! It was honestly so helpful (for Trev especially I think . . . after watching The Business of Being Born, I think I've seen it all) and I'm thankful for their openness with that part of their lives. Not to mention, we LOVE their little girl, which made it all the more meaningful.

1 comment:

  1. Was this the couple from across the alley? I am so happy to hear that everything is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete