Thursday, February 19, 2009

In the running

Wow - I just LOVE the comments and hearing some of you all's life soundtracks (I know there are more of you itching to express your's . . . a certain co-worker who recently posed this question to me for example . . .). No pressure, of course.

The song "It Won't Be Like This For Long" by Darius Rucker (um, a.k.a. Hootie and the Blowfish lead singer- whaaaaa? That brings me back, too - a little "Hold My Hand" anyone?) might be in the running. Trevor and I heard it together on Monday night during the whole soundtrack conversation. We were driving back from Elk River where we had the honor of attendeding the dedication of a dear baby boy of some wonderful friends who now live in Chicago. The sanctuary was filled with just their family and some friends, with meaningful scripture, a message by the grandpa, and some praiseful singing. What made the night especially significant is how long they tried for and waited for this beautiful boy. I sat there completely humbled, thinking, "WHY?!? Why do they, who wanted nothing more than to have a baby have to go through so much pain and waiting to have a child? And then we, who all of a sudden decide to start trying are blessed right away?" Again, another topic for another post. But I did feel an incredible sense of peace sitting in that pew looking at the altar at our friends' family - if not for all that time and pain, they would not have THAT amazing boy. And God only knows how much they must appreciate their child after so much heartache.

Back to soundtracks . . . I'm not convinced yet about this Hootie guy, the song talks about a girl and we think we're having a boy. And it's mostly about the dad - and hey, I need to fit into this somewhere too. But listening to it on my way to work today, I did shed a tear or two, so . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment