Monday, February 23, 2009

Around the world . . . in books

The past few weeks of reading have been so fascinating for me, I'd feel badly if I didn't somehow record how different books have intersected with each other and given me the feeling that I've traveled the world and part of its history through their pages:

The Hiding Place (autobiography of Corrie Ten Boom). Here I traveled to Holland and beyond, envisioned cobbled streets, the community that the people shared, and the tragedy that was World War II. I imagined being brave and courageous enough to work in the underground efforts to hide Jews from a tragic death.

Evidence not Seen (autobiography of Darlene Deibler Rose). I'm in the middle of this one, but have been able to picture the majestic landscape of Papua New Guinea, the indigenous tribes, and again the risking of one's life to follow a calling and to act on personal convictions.

A Chance to Die: The Biography of Amy Carmichael (written by Elizabeth Elliott). Here I glanced into the life of a woman who gave her life to serve people around the world, from Japan and then settling into a life in India for the rest of her days to practically adopt and school hundreds of precious children.

Significant to reading all of these within a couple weeks of each other has been their stark similarities: All women. All missionaries. All are at some time affected by/set in World War II. All risked their lives. All sacrificed comfort for a greater cause. All remained faithful and positive. All are legendary. All left legacies that will never die.

And now I'm reminded of that song by Nicole Nordeman, "I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me? Did I choose to love? Did I point to You? I want to leave a mark on things, to leave a kind of offering." These women certainly did, and I'm inspired by their example. Not because I want someone to write a book about me (although the same song continues, "I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me - I enjoy an accolade, like the rest - we all need an atta boy or atta girl"). But because I want to know my life counted (the song continues, "I just want to hear You say, well done, good and faithful one").

So true! And yet in the daily things, often so hard. I bury myself in my tasks, my schedule, "my, my, my, my, my" and forget that it's NOT about ME at all.

But, there is grace. We're heading into the season of Lent tomorrow, and that time of reflection is much needed righted about now - to remember what life IS all about.

Last year Trevor and I gave up movies, the year before it was Oprah and Subway (I mean, Trevor was getting really addicted to Oprah and it had to stop - just kidding, of course. My addiction is much healed thankfully). This year, I appreciated what a friend decided to do . . . add something instead of denying. Which I'm sure takes equal amounts of discipline and certainly more time. It will be a good season.

No comments:

Post a Comment