Saturday, April 11, 2009

Over half way there

Well, we're over half way to meeting our little one in person.  I fully admit to staring at our ultrasound pictures in awe and wonder on a daily basis, this gift seems too good to be true and we continue to give thanks for every day of knowing this little baby growing inside me.  On top of that, I'm thankful to be feeling well, and also to be enjoying our girl kicking away at various times during the day. Trevor got to feel a kick for the first time last Sunday (while were talking about her, of course - I think she know's her Dad's voice because she does seem to wake up and move around when we're sitting around talking). 

My latest being pregnant sociological observation is that I've noticed lately I get a lot more hugs from people I've barely spoken to before, and people look at me with very wide smiles. It's nice. 

This Holy Week has been very special to us, and the reflection and celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection always hits me fresh with its power and meaning in our lives. Good Friday's service was somber, filled with reminders that it's my sin, my actions, my condemnations that sent Him to the cross.  A large wooden cross was carried to the altar and we were invited to come touch the cross and receive a blessing - I was so heavily feeling the weight of Jesus' sacrifice on behalf of me, I thought of all the things I'd done that day, that week, my whole life to betray Him.  And then I received the blessing: "Andrea, you are a new creation in Christ. The new has come, the old has been washed away . . ."

We went to our church's Easter Vigil last night, and I honestly think it's the most amazing service I've ever attended. The joy was palpable in the readings, the music (including mandolin, french horn, oboe, and even bagpipes!), the lights, the bells that accompanied the exclaiming of the first "alleluia" that we've said as a congregation since the beginning of Lent.  The readings were powerful and dramatic, and it felt like Words just came alive. The contrast between the heaviness of Friday and the celebration of Saturday and Sunday brings a lightness of heart and a perspective that is refreshing and life-giving. 

And today, we celebrate that He is risen. And it was a celebration indeed., from hot cross buns at the coffee table, to Easter lilies and children's processing with bells and flowers. And of course dinner, which we shared with my bro and many friends - one of the highlights of which was to hear that some dear friends of our's just found out they are expecting their first child.  We truly rejoice with them! 

At the same time, we miss being at home to celebrate with our families . . .  even more so after calling home and hearing the chatter around what must have been dessert time, the laughter of the game playing, hearing the menu. Well, we do wish we could be in three places at once - and we're already looking forward to a trip home next month. 

Is Monday really tomorrow already? Can't it stay Sunday a little longer? 




No comments:

Post a Comment