Friday, April 10, 2009

If this is a date night now . . .



So, I get this nice e-mail from my husband on Wednesday and he proposes that we have a date at Subway (because yes, this is where we go out to eat). And yes, I was thrilled! But because yes, we are that cheap (and because we had lots of food at home), I counter-offered and suggested that we go out for coffee instead, and then run a couple errands (because yes, this would still be considered a date, and coffee at a nice place seemed dignified AND cheap).

So what did we end up doing? The errand first, which was a quick trip to Sam's Club. On our final stretch towards the check-out line Trevor comments, "I think I'll get a hot dog." So, Trevor got in line while I went to the cafe to order the hot dog combo (for $1.50), filled the big styrofoam cup with caffeine-free pop and we both ended up back in the little "cafeteria" (which, let's be honest, is just plastic picnic tables set up crudely right in front of all the check out lines so that patrons can shamelessly watch people as they eat their $2 pizza and gulp their 87 cent soda). No, we're not those people. Oh wait, yes we are. Well, we talked too, but it's hard to not be distracted by all the people and the overflowing carts of everything under the sun in mass quantities.

Did we end up at a classy coffee shop? Um, no - we were too full of nitrates and carbonation. We ended up back at home. And we were happy. And we considered that hour to Sam's and back a date.

This all leaves me to wonder, if these are our dates sans kiddos, what will be our dates be like 6 months, a year, five years from now?



3 comments:

  1. I love the Sam's Club 87 cent sodas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Andrea! I miss you guys. That sounds like our date night for sure!!!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Melanie and I have date night almost every Thursday. We go to Perkins, sit in Ed's section (he already knows what we want) and talk about finances and business.
    We think it is a great date night.

    Here's to hoping you get to have date nights in 6 months.

    John

    ReplyDelete