Monday, June 24, 2013

Small Town in the Big City

Something I've always loved is random human encounters - meeting people, making connections, being surprised by what a small world we really do live in. Just last week, Trev ran into a classmate from junior high. Crazy - the guy was a server at a small restaurant he went to. The next day Karis and I were sitting in Target (okay, at the Starbucks in Target, caught me) and a kind woman asked if she could peek at Judah, then told me she works with babies all the time. I asked where, she replied, and I recognized the place as one at which Trev's former boss (and now family friend) volunteers. So I asked if she knows Diane, and sure enough they're fabulous friends. There's just something that surprises and delights me when these things happen in this metropolis. It made my day a few weeks ago when I ran into one of my best friends at the grocery store. Simple things.

Other simple delights lately (a.k.a. a big week in the life of a little girl):

- "School" with Momma Beth and Lukas (Beth does crafts, I do snacks. LOVE this, and so does Karis). Last week was all things birds. This week was The Napping House.

- Scavenger hunts. I told Karis about a scavenger hunt at my sis-in-law's bachelorette party, and so now we have indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts. I make a list, then Karis "writes" on the list, then proceeds to find everything and put them in a big empty popcorn kernel jar. I love watching her scavenge and proudly return with her full jar and list. 

- Father's Day. Trevor, you're the best! It's been a joy to watch you grow in this role the past 4 years. Your gentleness, balance, creativity, and compassion are evident as you shepherd our children. I'm so thankful for you. We celebrated the day with a bbq in our backyard, all the "Pope's from Bloomington" plus some others. I'm so thankful for MY dad, Happy Father's Day, DK! You're the best. And to Trev's dad, Bobby, too - we are both blessed with such fabulous, faith-filled fathers

- Movie on the lawn. Karis and Trev were invited by dear friends to go to a big family event at TCF stadium. Bouncy houses, bottomless fruit snacks, children's flick on the big screen. Kid paradise. I got a little Judah date, which was a blast. He is just so smiley and sweet and I savored having him to myself.

- Okee Dokee brothers concert. This beloved "kindi" band can be heard in our house weekly . . . so when the dear Dierkers invited us to join them for a picnic and concert, we jumped (I'm always so glad other people keep us in the loop on things going on around here). Karis danced the evening away with Lukas and Eliza, precious.

- Bowling. Trev and Karis joined cousins Lee and Caroline to introduce Karis to the lanes. K wanted to know if there would be "Karis sized" bowling and was a little confused as to why we wouldn't just bring her strawberry shortcake bowling game.

- Laying on the grass watching the clouds go by and figuring out what shapes they are. We often find holes in the clouds, and Karis often says she sees Mickey Mouse.

- "Skateboarding". Karis slides around the floors on her toy stroller, hilarious. I love watching what she can come up with everyday, her imagination is wondrously wild.

- Water in our basement. Not a delight in itself - but the community we experienced because of the inconvenience is humbling. First, we are so blessed that it's just water. Next, we are amazed that some friends who were without power helped trouble shoot and figure it out. Then Uncle Steve descended to coordinate the fix-it solution. Then other friends arrived to help finish that and do the demolition. And to boot, the wives joined and so the kids and I had company and positive distraction. And we had a good reason to have an impromptu pizza party.  We feel like God's provision is so intricate.  Thank you, all. 

I've found that "big house things" make me anxious - spinning my wheels taking care of the kids, completely out of control . . . so, these are good growth opportunities. Also good chances to practice gratitude. Such as: so amazing that it was the weekend. That we caught the water. That people were around and willing to help. That the weather cleared long enough for them to fix things outside. That there's not a tree on our roof or vehicle (such as is the case in our neighborhood).

Things that make me cry lately:

- Reading Love you Forever. We finally unpacked the rest of Karis's books . . . and as we sat down to read this one, I told Karis how I used to read it to her and Lukas and sometimes it would make me cry. I was confident I would not cry this time. Foolishness, the last few pages had me sniffing and trying to explain to Karis how thankful I am for her and how someday I might be a grandma and . . . sweet Karis cuddled up to me (which honestly doesn't happen very often).

- Listening to this Bebo Norman song. For some reason, as I listen to this, I can envision our kids growing up. I think of all that is ahead of them . . . and just pray God's grace to cover their precious lives and each step of their journey.

- Watching Modern Family. First time an episode has brought me to tears, and ironically I thought it was the most off color episode in a long time . . . but the end was so beautiful to me.

The above leads me to think I'm both tired and hormonal.

Books Karis is loving lately:

- Fancy Nancy
- Bread and Jam for Frances
- Blueberries for Sal
- Henry & Mudge
 
Books I'm going through lately:

- Silas Marner (love this book)
- Oh Pioneers! (read this years ago, even better the second time around. I've realized I'm a huge Willa Cather fan)

- A short biography of C.S. Lewis
- Remains of the Day (Interesting, glad I read it, but probably wouldn't recommend it)
- Life Together (for small group - fabulous)


Routines I'm savoring lately:





- Karis waking up, saying "mommy, mommy!". Then we read a letter I wrote her a while ago, reminding me of what our days should focus on, reminding her of my love and God's. She can recite it back to me now. Really, it's reminding me Whose Karis is, that she is a gift to me, that I have to be intentional in our days. I find it easy to think Karis is older than she is, to expect too much from her.
- Karis helping Judah when he wakes up: she turns on his light, unwraps his arms from his swaddle, sings "Rise and Shine".
- Sitting on the front step when Judah naps, Karis runs across the stones, draws with sidewalk chalk, strolls her babies up and down the driveway
- French toast and Freeziac Fridays. Also Fun Family Movie Fridays. I love Fridays.

Karis-isms
- "Mommy, is this Mickey's sister?" (talking about Minnie, who is on a mirror she has)
- "CHEWWWW- DAAAAA" (this is what it sounds like when she affectionately/aggressively comes up to her brother, grabs his hand, puts her face right next to his. About 200 times a day)
- "Mommy, can you put that down so you're modest?" (Thank you, Karis, for reminding me to put my post-nursing shirt down before I walk outside)

Judah Updates

- He continues to go where no man has gone before . . . bridal showers, bachelorette party, book club, ladies' nights, work dinners. And really, he is so easy to take to these places, calm and content and full of smiles and bubbles and raspberries. I treasure these little memories with him, the time goes so fast. 

Rockin' out to Okee Dokee brother's with her best friend, "D"

Gone fishing with Uncle Jordan

Happy Father's Day, DK - love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment