Monday, June 3, 2013

June Bugs

In random news (written last week . . . sometimes it's hard to hit that "publish" button - such a commitment!):

Since last writing, we planted flowers and tomatoes and a pepper plant, drove to Home Depot and back in 100 degree weather in rush hour traffic with broken air conditioning in the vehicle, enjoyed a morning with my sister while Trev and a friend worked on house projects, made pheasant tacos and pheasant nuggets that turned out well, had a lovely dinner with my brother and almost-sister-in-law, inaugurated the deck with some play dates, I slashed my finger on the top of a can (uff da), had a family date to Potbelly's, celebrated our brother's golden birthday with a patio bbq, watched the crab apple and sugar maple trees blossom and bloom, started a gratitude journal. Some of our dearest friends, true couple soul mates, were here last weekend and it was bliss to catch up. And so deflating that they're gone.

Deep thoughts:

- Not flowing right now. Or, I'll try: I'm forcefully struck lately by the innocence and helplessness of babies, and how instinctual it is to want to meet their needs in a gentle way. I suppose it might be the contrast of looking at Karis who is innocent in many ways, but not so dependent and definitely can be crafty and intentional in both sweetness and deviation. Naturally, I'm not always inclined to handle crying/tantrums/whining in the same way as I respond to Judah. And then I wonder how Karis sees/processes these responses? When I watch her respond to her brother with similar gestures, I think at the least she's learning how to treat children younger than her. And this is one of the many the many gifts of siblings, and I'm so thankful they can have each other.

- I'm so thankful to recognize how much more calm our little family is now. Nail biting has decreased. Eyes look rested. General contentment has replaced exhaustion (most of the time). For all of us.

- I'm thinking lately about the standards that are set for children's development - the rate at which they "should" do so many things, from rolling over to reading to . . . anything. I read recently a plea to let our children be ordinary. I liked that. I also read a thought about having ordinary days, and what a blessing that is. Indeed! I'm savoring ordinary right now. Watching Karis imagine outside, listening to Judah "talk" while he falls asleep, the anticipation of seeing Trevor walk through the door at night and the way Karis runs to him (unless she's watching a video, in which case she asks him if she can "have special time with her movie". Oy!)

- An ordinary milestone: Trevor and I occasionally sit on the couch together, for more than ten minutes.  Sometimes we even hold hands. It's pretty amazing. Ordinary.

In media:

The Office finale (watched the last ten minutes . . . alone . . . Trev sleeping on Karis's floor, Judah blissfully in bed). A couple things rang true to me.
- Andy's parting lines about "I wish you could know they're the good old days when you're in them"
- Pam's parting thoughts about living life NOW, making decisions, taking risks

The end of an era, for sure! Back in the day (pre-children), we'd retire to the basement nightly to catch up on many seasons of The Office. It was good for our marriage, actually. You know, something to talk about, laugh about, quote back to each other. Interesting.

From Jesus Calling (May 18)

"Do not blindly follow your habitual route, or you may miss what I have prepared for you"

I'm in the middle of reading Silas Marner, I Shall Not Leave You Comfortless, and Life on Planet Mom.

Finished watching Call the Midwife, season 2. Loved all but one episode.

Karis-isms
- "Mommy, is Judah sensitive right now?"
- " . . . and I asked Mommy lots of questions" (as she replayed her day to Trev)
- "So daddy, tell me about your day! How was work?"
- "Me and Marissa were giving birth to our babies" (oh my goodness!)
- "Mommy, when I have kids will you be their grandma?"
- "Is Jesus a man or a baby in our hearts?"
- "I'm thankful for summer. And that my daddy sleeps with me every night"
- "So, can you can tell me about last night?"
- She loves to read to Judah while he's in the exersaucer, especially The Three Little Pigs (a side note, Trev and I have commented on the real-ness of this story: eating wolves for dinner, you know, things like that. Reminded me of a great book called Tending the Heart of Virtue that talks about the value in reading these classic-though-sometimes-greusome tales. Time for a re-read of that one). 
- "When my kids are napping, I watch Midwife. And their daddy watches Star Trek" (she has us figured out, and here we thought we were sneaky about our TV viewing)


Judah updates
- He rolls from his stomach to back!
- He takes naps in his crib!
- He takes naps at regular times!
- He giggles! (especially when he's tired)
- His entire body responds when you talk to him, he lights up and starts kicking and waving his arms. This boy is social, and he reminds me so much of his sister at this age
- He loves his pacifier
- He stands in the exersaucer
- He's still up almost every two or three hours at night . . .
- He loves to suck on his hands and blanket
- He's realizing that his hands and feet actually belong to him
- He can go an entire day without crying (seriously, is that normal?!)

 Little gardener








No comments:

Post a Comment