Monday, April 29, 2013

Homesteading

The days are sometimes long, the nights are short, the weeks fly by. We manage to make things busy for ourselves, I figure we must like it this way or we'd put on the brakes a bit more. Some highlights for the journal . . .

Uncle D took K to MOA (how's that for abbreviations?) for rides and Buffalo Wild Wings (Karis's idea). She came home and collapsed, while begging for more cotton candy. Thank you, Drew, for giving Trevor and I a grand morning date in which we sat on the couch and watched a movie with sleeping Judah. Best. ever.

A neighborhood gathering where we learned we've landed in perhaps the best place imaginable - grateful.

I've been promising Karis we'd make pancakes in our new house. That finally happened.

A visit from Trev's brother and his wife (my sister - I just LOVE having sisters now, I never even imagined this stage of life). We hung out, introduced Aunt C to Wayzata, Wuollett, Trader Joe's, and IKEA. Watched the Painted Veil, they watched Silly Songs with Karis a couple times (oh so catchy and cute), and had wonderful chats. Karis is enamored by them, of course. Thankful.

A visit from my best friend from college, loved every minute of catching up. Took the kids on a long walk to Medicine Lake, enjoyed the finally-spring weather. Karis adores her, and so do I.

Trevor painted the kids' rooms, almost single-handedly (um, guilty and ashamed face inserted here - it was my idea: "Hey, since I have help and company this weekend, what do you think about painting?!"). So, uh, not as easy as it sounds. What a trooper, my husband. Thank you, Trev. He spent literally all weekend on this project and the rooms look amazing. And thank you to brother Tay for your help! And to my interior designers (a.k.a. dear friends) who helped choose the colors, which look fabulous.

Karis-isms:
A dialogue:

K:  "Can you please not sit on each other?" (said to our Uncle J & Aunt C, who were staying with us)
Me: "Oh, Karis - they're just cuddling, like you and I do sometimes"
K (with a voice filled with revelation): "Ohhhhhhh! My mommy cuddles me sometimes"

We joked that clearly Karis hasn't seen adults cuddle before - at least not in our house. Maybe we need to take a lesson from that?!

- "How many minutes until (insert anything)? Is that a long time?"
- "Well, but . . . " (to negotiate anything, and said in quite a convincing tone)
- "I made Yoda!" (and she did, out of modeling clay)
- "Mommy, do we have guests coming for dinner tonight? I just can't wait for our guests to get here"
- "Daddy, let's go have a chat downstairs" (a nightly pre-bed ritual, so sweet)

Judah updates: 
- Most often when people see him, they ask, "Is he always this happy and content?". Yes, he is. Such a gift!
- Other thing people tell Judah: "You look just like your sister!"
- This boy is adorable, thriving, delightful. Always smiling, coo-ing, social
- This boy has started drooling like crazy, hilarious
- This boy loves to sleep on me in the moby wrap for hours at a time
- This boy does not love to sleep through the night. What he loves is to get up every 90 minutes. (see Lamentations verse below - I'm lamenting, but there are reminders that there is much mercy around here also)

Snippets of readings, etc. that have recently fed my soul: 


  • Lamentations 3:22-23"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning, Great is your faithfulness" (this has proved appropriate and true during the nights when Judah and I are up a lot . . . - there is lamenting, but also trust that the day will be merciful).  
  • In one day, I randomly heard two different radio shows focusing on laughter. Tried to pay attention to that reminder, and helpful to take cues from Karis hilarious on this practice. 



  • The book Desperate


  • April 15 Jesus Calling about "routines not running smoothly, feeling more secure when life is predictable. When you're shaken out of your comfortable routines, grip My hand tightly and look for growth opportunities. Instead of bemoaning the loss of comfort, accept the challenge of something new" Okay, okay! Also April 29, April 24, April 25, April 28 . . . this little book is packed with power
  • This blog post (read during the weeks of the epic April snowstorms, talk about doldrums)






No comments:

Post a Comment