Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Word of the Year

Around the lunch table with Trev's parents recently, I was reminded about the Word of the Year. 2013 for me is: PRAISE.

Last year's word was "Grace", the meaning of Karis's name. Judah means "praise", and that meaning is what sealed the selling of the name to us, and feels quite appropriate for the way these months have begun for us.

The thing about Praise is that it's a posture that I do have to choose. Even when things are smooth and easy, it's easy to neglect to praise, easy to get caught in the dragging details (like, dragging-on coughs for everyone, that's the deal this week). Our nights around here are not the most restful, and in those moments I can feel just so tired and whiny - and it hit me the other day that it's about 1 hour a day that's like that. The other hours are really pretty amazing. Then I got to thinking about expectations, and how I can so easily expect perfect days . . . what would make a day "perfect" and feeling frustrated when it's not. Good grief, time to change that mind set. I always struggle with wanting control and this is a season of continually learning to let go. My mantra lately is "nothing is a big deal". Because thankfully, lately, nothing really IS a big deal. So yeah, praise. Lots of it. On an opposite note, sometimes I'm so overwhelmed with all for which we have to get praise, that it can be hard to receive so much during this season, to rest into the blessings, to let them spill over and hopefully bless others.

And there are my random thoughts.

We're in the midst of Holy Week, and it's been amazing to listen to Karis start to get it, to ask questions and talk about Jesus dying on the cross. Here's a song if you have time to listen.

I was blessed to celebrate my birthday yesterday - how different than a year ago! I'm loved celebrating the day with my children . . . Karis was quite underwhelmed that it's my birthday, which I think is kind of funny. We met my bro for coffee and then I whisked the kids to the doctor - mostly for Judah's cough - and discovered K has an ear infection. And I'm under directions to monitor Judah's cough. On the drive home I called Trevor to whine, he wasn't available, which is probably good, because I had time to realize that: a) we're not THAT sick, really, b) we have a fabulous clinic, c) this just fits my "managing expectations" mode right now. Sometimes in the midst of sniffles, priorities are clearer. To top it off, Karis also didn't nap, had a major meltdown when our friends came over this afternoon (which was such a blessing to have them here, to talk and watch our children play), then fell asleep on our way to dinner. Precious child of mine. We enjoyed Potbelly's sandwiches, Trev & K went back to Teavana, both kids went to bed peacefully, we got to watch an episode of Call the Midwife, and then both kids (and subsequently, me) had a fabulous night of sleep. This life is a gift.

I realized after my last post that I've been neglecting to include any Judah updates!

- He smiles and coos and squeals and is just completely delightful!
- He now sleeps at night in his crib . . . which for me is a significant step in separation and feels odd and sad. Actually, with Trev on Karis's floor these days, our bedroom is pretty lonely
- He has one blowout a day (at least), Karis loves when I get hit with the yellow stuff
- He slurps his hands, and it's the cutest sound ever
- He gazes into our eyes and lights up, his eyes even smile
- He loves when we use the "snot sucker" on him. Hilarious
- He continues to be mellow and loves to sleep. And I love to hold him when he sleeps.
- He's getting baptized this weekend at the Easter Vigil. Every time I think about it I want to cry


Karis-isms
- "Mommy, we got you tea! Do you want to open it now? You're gonna be so SURPRISED!"
- "I don't feel well, I have a bad cough. My ear hurts. Can I go to sleep until it's better like daddy did?" (then proceeds to lay down in a fetal position, just like Trev when he was sick in bed)
- "Daddy, can you help me sleep?" (and then in the middle of the night, when he's on her floor: "Daddy, can I lay on the floor with you? Do you want to lay in bed with me? It's really comfortable. There's lots of room")
- "Mommy, I'll give you choices. Which one do you want?" (said while clothes shopping, she's going to be such a great help to me in this area - well, she already is)
- "Can I smell it?" (loves to smell anything, and come to think of it she's always been able to identify smells very well, which leads to . . .)
- "Mmm, it smells like a restaurant!"
- "Mommy, you're having a coffee date, I'm having a water date" (said at Panera, true statement)
- "Can you do the snot sucker on me?" (she watches us do the 'nose frieda' on Judah)
- "Mommy, when can I watch doctor?" (she found the Call the Midwife DVD, and I told her she can watch it when she's 22)
- "Where's my coffee?!" (said in the middle of the night, waking up delirious with a fever)
- "Mommy, should we write a thank you note to the nice man at Osaka for cooking our food?"  (for not liking it there, I thought this was sweet)
- "Mommy, when I'm bigger I'm going to drive you to the Mall of America and we're going to get chicken wings!" (cousin Caroline was telling her about eating chicken wings at MOA . . . I'm excited to make this one happen!)
- "I wrote you a birthday card! It says 'daughter loves you'" (melt my heart)


Some media I've been loving the past week:

A Chuck Swindoll series on parenting. I could listen to his voice all. day. long. One of the best points I've soaked in is to get to really  KNOW our children.

Bringing up Bebe. An account of an American raising her children in France, there are some quite applicable observations.

Parenting with Love and Logic. An interesting approach to letting natural consequences be the main discipline in parenting.

Call the Midwife. Pure delight and also quite emotional to watch as I hold a sleeping Judah.

I loved this blog post.

And this one.

Waiting for Birdie. A dear friend sent this my way, hilarious and holds many truisms. Such as, "Maybe you just can't warn people about the real things (about parenthood). 'Oh, good luck with the baby! Enjoy eating out while you still can! And, you know, enjoy your mind, before it liquefies. In fact, enjoy your whole life, before it turns into a disorienting blur of love and crushing anxiety.' Nobody mentioned the way my heart would be brought to its knees, a thousand times a day, by my love for the baby . . . "

I agree with her - in a good way. And we surely enjoy everything . . . our lives and restaurants and our liquefied minds.






No comments:

Post a Comment