Friday, March 23, 2012

Things to learn from children's books

Karis's books are like friends to us, I'm savoring these days when she backs up onto my lap or cuddles with me on the couch (sometimes with her arm around me, precious!) to page through her favorite books. Reading about Corduroy and her delight when he goes up the escalator, I discover the beautiful story of friendship.  Always Room For One More reminds me about the desire to open our home with such an attitude. Angus and The Ducks makes me want a Scottish Terrier. More More More encourages me to tickle Karis's belly button and scoop her into my arms. Knuffle Bunny is always good for a laugh and makes me thankful for my in-home washing machine and dryer. Barnyard Dance makes me think of square dancing and completely cracks me up as I watch Karis stomp around. The Foot Book is surprisingly helpful in teaching Karis about her left and right feet. Winter Days in the Big Woods (a Little House adaptation) is helpful in establish the proper work for each day. If you read Love You Forever twice a day, it won't make you cry (well, not every time, at least).

I finished Kisses From Katie last week - lots to think about. As I had the fleeting thought of turning on our air conditioning several times the past days (weak, I know), I thought of Katie who lives in Uganda and adopted 14 girls at the age of 19 and has rats her in house and the hugest heart and incredibly inspiring life story. You should read it. 

What really impresses me in reading news this week is that Trevor finished Les Miserables. He says it was completely worth it and so I'm tempted to start.

What you might hear through the open screen door this week:
- "You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around . . . " (said by me, not Karis. Karis just laughs, which is why I do it)
- "Wear this to nappers?!" (with a note of exclamatory pleading that expresses her desire to wear whatever it is she is wearing to her nap or bedtime - one time she was running around with nothing on and grabbed her skin while saying this)
- "Honey?" (again, pleading exclamation, part of her bedtime routine still involves eating honey even when there is no cough. To do this, Karis climbs into her high chair and happily sips on her spoonful of sweet stickiness)
- "Go to Belle's house! Make Lefse! Have fun with Erika!" (yup, we made lefse. Karis ate a whole round of raw dough and also some chocolate pudding, all while wearing her chosen outfit: an adorable vintage Polly Flanders dress that is at least a size too small but oh so perfect)
- "Happy day Mommy!" (a couple former coworkers took me out for dinner, Karis loved the candle. I loved the triple chocolate)
- "Eat smoothie in my elephant cup" (because that is where smoothies belong)
- "Go potty! Mommy already showered. Get dressed! I pick outfit. Go to kitchen" (phrases said within 30 seconds of being up in the morning)
- "Pinky!" (a pink ball from the dollar bin at Target, the latest fave that goes everywhere we do)
- "French toast Friday!" (yup, a tradition)
- "I had a good day" (said on our way home Sunday night after seeing Aunt Cassie, melted our hearts)
- pretending she's going to the airport to pick up Cassie: "Bye momma! I'm going to airport pick up Cassie! I be back soon!"
- "Read it fast! Sing it fast!" (everything with Karis is FAST, a lot like her dad)
- "Go to restaurant. Cheeseburger!" (because that is what one eats at any restaurant, right?)
- "I have happy day mommy on my fingers!" (i.e. she got glitter on her fingers from some wrapping paper on the gift Trev gave me)


1 comment:

  1. >>>"Go to Belle's house! Make Lefse! Have fun with Erika!"

    Ha ha! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete