Monday, March 12, 2012

A fish story

I had this thought that Lent would be the perfect time to incorporate fish into our weekly menus. I told Trevor that I was going to start making tilapia once a week, and I enthusiastically explained how inexpensive and easy to prepare it is. To which he replied, "Well yeah, of course it's cheap. They're raised in huge tanks . . . " At which point I put up my hands and asked him to please stop. I really, really, really dislike fish and while I do enjoy eating some fish I don't like to think about it at ALL. And now I can't bring myself to buy any tilapia. Or any other fish, for that matter.

I savor this season of reflection and repentance - there are daily opportunities to give and receive grace always, and I'm thankful for the collective focus in these weeks of thinking about the road that Jesus walked, the sacrifices He made, the temptations He endured, the promises He fulfilled.

I've been thinking this week about growth. Karis is constantly growing in so many ways, but it hit me that so am I. Or at least, I hope I am. Growth never stops at a certain age, and it's quite remarkable that even within this little family, we can all learn and grow together. Surely at different rates and in different ways, but we're all changing and learning and experiencing life in ways that prune us and shape us. The following quote recently affirmed these thoughts about growth and grace:

". . . [many displays of winter are a reminder that] beautiful things are still happening in some of nature’s most quiet and dark seasons; just as sometimes we personally have to go through such periods to come out into new growth. Part of the process of creating your family often leads to acknowledging things you would like to do differently; things you would like to be better, and opportunities for a positive and beautiful new beginning.
 In the process of acknowledging what you would like to change or do differently, I hope you take the time to see all the things that you do right.  I also hope you forgive yourself for any unrealistic expectations that you were harboring about parenting and family life." (from the parenting passageway).

Yes, I like that.

Another thought I like, from the book Kisses From Katie (read it, amazing story. Katie adopted 13 children from Uganda . . . at the age of nineteen):
"Parenting is sometimes tough. Parenting is almost always hilarious."

Random Karis-isms this week:
- "Little Jay!" (Trevor named one of her 'little people' . . . and now 'Little Jay' is a bedtime must-have item)
- "I have an owie. Run around! Fell on Cedar Chest!" (Karis got her first big and noticeable owie - she did indeed run into our cedar chest and has a scrape on her eyebrow to show it. She is enjoying telling everyone she meets about it, as well as re-enacting the event sans actually hitting her head)
- Walking up to strangers in church to talk, probably telling them about her owie. This girl is an extrovert, it's so fun to watch.
- "I wanna go back to Sterling's birthday party" (exclaimed over and over all the way home from Sterling's birthday party)
- "I get orange gum" (Trevor got Karis orange gum, so sweet - literally)
- "Go talk in the bathroom!" (commonly heard when we go to restaurants. Karis likes to do things she's not supposed to in hopes that I will go have a talk with her in the bathroom. She really likes restaurant bathrooms. We left Snuffy's a little prematurely a couple weeks ago because of this)
- "I don't like tomatoes" (true and funny. you'd really have to hear the tone/inflection of this statement to get the humor. Or maybe you have to be Karis's mom to think this is funny?)
- "Read Ra-pu-pu-pum" (reading the Drummer Boy book, a latest favorite)
- "Wash on Monday, mend on Tuesday, churn on Wednesday" (a statement from her 'Laura book', an adaptation from the Little House series)
- "Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, it's a rainbow" (repeating a phrase sung by her picnic basket. Did you know picnic baskets sing?)
- "Check on snowman" (Trev and Karis made a big one, with 'milk balls', i.e. whoppers robin eggs candy, for the eyes and mouth. They melted off and Karis snuck one into her mouth before I could catch her. She looked delighted).
- "I wanna go to Bismarck!" (amen, daughter)
- Running full speed to hug my knees (please, let this last forever . . . )
- Singing "Old Macdonald Had a Farm" while dancing
-  "Mommy, leave! Mommy and daddy go on date. I eat dinner at Lukas's" (said as we dropped her off with friends for a couple hours - Trev and I went to a restaurant we've been talking about trying for years for an early birthday celebration. Dear K - I think that answers your question in the comment. =) )

1 comment:

  1. I really, really like reading everything she says, and this will be a treasure to have her read someday when she's older!

    ReplyDelete