Monday, March 26, 2012

Party on . . .

I feel like I better devote a post to: turning 30. It's really been a blast turning 30, something about having a decade change made me want to plan things to make it memorable. So, we've enjoyed merging old traditions with new . . .

- Trev gave me a big cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World,  and we're really, really going to try to start choosing recipes to cook together (sometimes, at least)
- "Free" birthday dinners from Noodles and Ruby Tuesday
- Not free birthday dinner out with friends. Part of my "growing up" and celebrating 30 was to meet 2 dear couples at a favorite restaurant, Sunsets. Sans kids. Actually, a couple of the kids played together here with a precious youth group girl and had a blast. Karis was literally pushing me out the door, physically and verbally: "Leave mommy!" while shoving my legs
- Re-watching Chariots of Fire, which is my birthday movie. Such a reminder of passion and purpose in life
- Re-reading of Psalm 139
- Anticipating being in Bismarck soon . . . it's been so fun to look forward to that time with family and friends

I'm thankful for the traditions of celebrating life, for the intentional time to honor the breath that God has given me. I also think it's important to celebrate my parents on my birthday (Karis, if you are reading this when you are 13 or 18 or 30, you should steal this idea from me). They make life so special and memorable and celebratory, thanks dad and mom.

There are so many things I thought I'd have figured out by now . . . but I feel like I've been gently reminded lately that life really is all about growth. Learning, being shaped and molded and refined. At any age.

Another theme of birthday thoughts is to live in each moment, to be present. To enjoy the good moments, learn from the not-so-good, to be mindful of the moments (and not regret or worry about it when I'm not). Some people seem to do all this naturally, I am not one of those people.

And of course, grace. Grace really does cover all - the times of refinement, the ones where I lose sight of the moment.

Some birthday surprises included:
- Waking up to a front yard full of forks that spelled "Happy 30th Andrea". I still don't know who the culprit is, but I LOVE them!
- Just before breakfast, Karis ran to my legs, gave me a huge hug and said "I love you soooo much!". She has never ever done this before, and I feel like God was speaking through her. I cried.
- Some dear neighbors brought over bread, not even knowing it was my birthday. The mid-morning chat over tea was very refreshing

We are almost partied out here - I think Trevor is slightly relieved that my birthday is over. Our last event was meeting friends for a casual dinner at Chatterbox (Karis is starting to say "Go get dinner at restaurant! Sorry dear, back to home cooking tomorrow).

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love a new decade. You will love your 30's, I know I did.

    ReplyDelete