Sunday, February 12, 2012

As I write, my fingers smell like turkey. I like it. Spring is in the air or something, I've had these bursts of energy to get things done that I've been meaning to all winter . . . like cook that huge turkey that's been sitting in the freezer for longer than I will admit to publicly. Turkey-cooking is also a part of our plan to "grow up" this year, it was fun to watch Trevor carve it and then to enjoy the results together. The simple life, that's what we're all about here - or at least try to be about. In many ways, Karis has helped us slow down, find a regular rhythm, relax at night.

The above paragraph was written on Monday . . . this paragraph is written on Friday as the turkey is turning into soup on the stove. Mmmm. Turkey is our new friend and fits a new motto and method I'm incorporating into cooking: "minimum input for maximum output".

Today (still Friday!) was momentous for Karis, she got her very own library card. Wow, she was SO excited, I wish I could've gotten her reaction on video. The awesome part of her getting her own card is that now she can check out 30 books at a time. Keeping up with library books is like a part time job, a juggle of when things are done, which ones to renew, which ones to reserve. I love it.

Momentous happenings this week also include diaper-ish things. I decided to be done with cloth diapers, I don't know what happened but I'm just done. As it would happen, Karis seems to think she's about done with diapers, period. I haven't changed a dirty diaper in about a week, she's literally training herself and just lets us know when she has to go. That was easy, all credit goes to Karis.

Before the memory fades, I have to recall some moments from last Sunday's church service: it was the first Sunday that I was called upon to help serve communion, which involves a good 15 or so minutes of me (and other servers) standing at the front of the church. I did wonder what Karis would think of that situation, my girl can be unpredictable about her mommy-separation moments (although less so lately, she is really growing up). Well, she was great, I didn't hear her at all . . . until Trevor actually brought her up front for communion. At that point, she started bawling and crying very loudly for mommy. Oh my Karis, I could see the tears pooling in her eyes. I appreciated many sweet glances from those receiving the juice I was offering, those who know Karis and understood and appreciated the moment - who, like me, knew she would be absolutely fine (nothing a bagel from the back couldn't fix!) and also knew it was a slice of time I'd remember forever. A friend who is a seasoned grandmother-of-five told me after the service, "You know, someday she's not going to like you!" While I hope that's not true (!) I do realize that these little memories are ones I will treasure, ones I will tell Karis about in those moments that she thinks she doesn't need me. 

Random highlights of our week are included, but not limited to:
Having neighbors join us for pizza one evening; meeting an aunt and uncle for dinner one night; celebrating a dear friend's 30th birthday here (with what else but turkey?!); seeing Trev's brother who was here on a long layover; meeting former coworkers for a mall playdate; watching The Help; going to the library book sale and finding some terrific treasures; spontaneously meeting my bro for coffee; purging closets and drawers & organizing piles of clothes - watching Karis try on old favorite dresses and put together hilarious outfits for herself.

It's a simple life and we're thankful.

Karis-isms:
- "Hey mommy!" and then proceeding to tell me anything and everything that is happening to or around her. This is my favorite exclamation right now.
- She knows our first names and sometimes calls us by them, especially when yelling down the stairs
- She stuck a ball of kleenex up her nose, we were able to fish it out but I was having visions of candy or small toys going up there . . .
- "Watch the turkey!" (peering into oven). When they turkey was out, she just wanted to touch it
- "Cover Karis up!" (she likes to have a blanket over her now - after watching me cover Lukas up for his naps here)
- "I have a little cough! I need honey for my cough"
- "I'm gonna be a flower girl" (it's true! Thanks, Jordan and Cassie, for that exciting honor)
- "I set the table" (true)
- "Let's go to ca-meh-rah!" (Karis-speak for "Panera")
- "Date with Lukas!" (true, we took Lukas on a birthday date to the playplace at a local mall and dinner at Chipotle)
- "Mommy go bathroom so bad" (true - usually after being out and about and having to go right inside for a minute before playing outside)

No comments:

Post a Comment