Monday, May 11, 2009

Pics and such

I have to admit that last week my mind was in a gazillion places, which was causing some anxiety . . . thoughts of things I "need" to research, learn, and prepare were taking over and making feel like I couldn't possibly so any of those things! Thanks to some praying and perspective - AND to wonderful Trevor and his ability to move and assemble furniture - the space in my brain was feeling much more open by the weekend. We enjoyed some various activities like going to a baptism class at our church, lunching with friends, flower shopping with another friend, and driving to Red Wing for Mother's Day. And now that I write all that, talk about perspective - I am truly blessed in countless ways.

Before I mention Mother's Day again, I want to borrow from my friend Rachel's blog (it's private, or I would surely link to her!) some thoughts about how very difficult Mother's Day can be for so many people. People who have lost their mothers, want more badly than anything to be a mother, have broken relationships with their mothers . . . or never knew their mothers. I just want to acknowledge an understanding that this is not a happy day for too many people. And I'm also humbled with thanks that I am to be able to celebrate with joy this holiday for SO many reasons - I know my mother, and I love her incredibly. She is my best friend and a mentor to me, she has poured love on me my whole life and has taught me so much about being a wife, mother, and friend. Her selflessness has impacted my heart and my life probably more than I'll ever know. I love you mom! I have an amazing mother-in-law who has welcomed me graciously and whole-heartedly into her life and into her family. She also has taught me so much about all the various roles that women play, and how to play them all with grace and balance. I love you too, Lorie! I have a plethora of grandmothers in my life - my own, as well as Trevor's - true women of character and intelligence and wit and wisdom. I am so thankful. And I even have some "like-a-mother" moms from different stages in my life, from college, to our time in Virginia, to here. The verse in Titus 2 is so true of ALL these amazing women in my life: By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, be good wives. And really, SO much more.

In addition to being able to celebrate moms this year, to actually BE one (even to one I haven't met face to face yet) was such a blessing. In so many ways, I feel like I know Baby K so well already - I envision her, pray for her constantly, feel her many times a day. Her presence is already so tangible, and the love I feel for her already so deep and, well, mother-like. I was so thankful to get to spend the weekend with Trevor, who reminded me of what a memorable weekend we had in learning more about baptism, preparing our home for her arrival, and driving to Red Wing for a little day trip. Actually, it was more like a 4 hour trip, most of the things in Red Wing are closed on Sunday! But we did savor the drive and took time to talk about a birth plan, cloth diapers, and strollers (wow, we sound really boring and task-oriented I think!). We did really have such a nice time just being together, and even stopped at IKEA on the way back for furniture and ice cream (great combination, by the way). Thank you, Trevor, for making the day so special and really celebrating - it is a joy beyond words to be able to share every step of this journey with you. And every step of the journey before this baby journey too.

When we got home, we grilled and ate dinner with my bro on the patio, a relaxing and beautiful time.


And here are some updated profile pictures of the belly. In this one I'm sucking in. Trevor took it, I looked at and said, "I'm not really that small!" So I fessed up.




I think this one is a little more real - on the exhale, you know. I love just letting loose, I think that's one of the best things about this wonderful belly (besides the baby inside, of course. And I guess a lot more things. But the letting go is definitely wonderful).

3 comments:

  1. You had me worried until I scrolled down! You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe you're having a baby! You look fantastic. -Your old pal, Melissa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heee hee!! I love that you were sucking! I use to do that in the mirror all the time :)

    ReplyDelete