Sunday, May 17, 2009

Landscaping and growing babies

Division of labor in marriage is always an interesting thing - I know I've said this before, but I'm just so much more "traditional" than I thought I would be in the stereotypical gender roles. And this was more pronounced this weekend than ever, as I cleaned, cooked, and did laundry while Trevor labored outside planting hostas, weeding & mowing. However, I added something else to my "list" that I'm taking full advantage of: growing a baby. So yes, I grew my baby while taking a nap today while yes, Trevor continued to labor outside.  What I love about my husband (among a million other things) is that I told him I took a nap and he thought that was simply great news. Wow. 

I'm also very thankful for fun happenings this weekend . . . a bonfire here with good friends, interesting discussion at youth group, lunch on the patio with our small group, and now waiting for our brothers to arrive for the evening.  The service this morning was also special, two songs were played or referenced that we had at our wedding: "Come thou fount of every blessing" and "For the beauty of the earth. " Music is so powerful and stirs such memories. 

Baby stuff this week included another wonderful midwife appointment, hearing Baby K's heartbeat, and researching strollers. So many options. I can't help but think that baby gear and preparations have been increasingly commercialized in much the same way that weddings have. I mean, did our parents have all these options/opinions/stores/web sites that just offer more opportunities to spend more money on things that maybe aren't necessary?  Just something I've been pondering, the parallels of engagement/wedding/marriage to pregnancy/birth/parenthood. The thoughts are simmering and will boil in another blog post later. 

We're very excited to be heading home to NoDak this week to spend time with our families - road trip! 

1 comment:

  1. Quote of the weekend:

    Trevor: "I'm going to keep working on the flower beds tomorrow."
    Andrea: "I'm going to keep working on...growing my little girl!"

    SO funny. Ben and I continue to laugh about this! :)

    ReplyDelete