Sunday, March 1, 2009

In memory of . . .

Almost exactly two years ago this week, I was on my way back home from a wonderful and whirlwind trip to Germany. I love to look back on "a year ago, I was, we were . . . in a year from now we'll be, we hope . . . ".  And well, I'm so glad I took this girls' trip to a foreign land for so many reasons: The memories. The strengthened friendships with my dear friends Rachel and Rachel from college days. The forged new friendships with our in-country hosts, a couple who ended up moving to our area just months later and became dear friends. The fact that I'll probably not be taking such trips any time in the near future! In memory, I'm going to have fun posting some pictures below. 

A few highlights of the trip were:

COFFEE - we are all coffee nuts, and pretty much just went from place to place finding whatever coffee fix we could. The sips were all the more blissful because of the rainy conditions. The chocolate was good too. 

RAIN - I love dreary days, and there were plenty. One Rachel and I ended up getting caught in the rain (as in, locked out) and it's a great memory thinking of Rachel trying to hoist herself up to a window by standing on a garbage can. 

SPA - Our first day there our hosts took us to the edge of the Black Forest, where we swam in a huge hot tub, sat under heated lamps, and sat in aromatherapy rooms. What a way to start the trip. 

HIKING - We hiked a hill to see a castle. Hiked 
our hosts neighborhood for long walks and in pursuit of more coffee. Hiked by streams, across bridges, down cobbled streets of Heidelburg. Gorgeous. 

Here are some pics . . . 

At the spa . . . cheap and wonderful (in case anyone's wondering, we stayed in the fully clothed section)














Coffee . . . of course. This was at a charming cafe at Worms, where Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses. 














At the Schneitzel House. With lots of fries. No coffee.













Outside of a place where we got streudle. We ate in the basement that was an ancient wine cellar - the restaurant is known for bringing your meat to you raw for you to cook on a hot lava stone. 




















Good times - thank you to our fab hosts, Sarah & Zach. For some reason right now, I feel like just flying to Vegas or something for a few days. Anyone game? 

3 comments:

  1. Since this is a "counting" post, you are exactly two months off on that Vegas invite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would LOVE to fly off to Vegas right now! But how about you just fly to Bis and we can go to coffee shops here? Or I could jet over to MSP. Yeah, that sounds much better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. those pictures remind me of a wonderful trip with rachel, other rachel, and not rachel!! miss you!
    -sara

    ReplyDelete