Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's all about the baby

Well, since this is kind of a baby's blog, I guess it's time for a post about . . . the baby. As I've said, we call him Sammy (and yes, we refer to him as "him" because we just really think that's what he is!). Sammy had a big week - according to somewhat reliable sources, he is about the size of a small pomegranate and would likely fit in the palm of my hand. His joints are forming, as are his sweat glands. I think he started making his presence known, I've been feeling some little tummy flutterings - then again, I really want to feel him move, so maybe everything I feel I equate to his movement . . . and yes, Trevor still tries to feel him but the said reliable sources (you know, the internet, the half-dozen books that I peruse before going to bed, other moms that I relentlessly quiz about their pg experiences) say that Trev won't feel him for another several weeks. 



I still hear almost every day, "I can't believe how BIG you're getting". And recently a few people have been questioning whether or not I'm having twins. To which I say NOOOOOOOOO, not possible. My brother has recently latched on to the fact that we are having twins, and refers to the situation as "That will be so cool/weird/amazing/can you imagine having a baby in each arm?!?" Oh my. I'm pretty sure I'm just plain getting big (or maybe am farther along that the doc thinks? By my calculations, I'm almost 20 weeks . . . ). And then there's my wonderful husband who the other day while giving me my nightly chiropractic treatment by hugging me and lifting me off the ground said, "Wow. You are definitely getting heavier." Put that one on the list of, "You can only say that when I'm pregnant." I also have a new rule that anyone living in this house is not allowed to lose any weight while I am gaining, so I'm going to start adding inordinate amounts of butter and cream to any cooking that I do. Okay, point is, Sammy is growing and alive and for that we are so thankful.

Tuesday was a big baby day - we had a 17 week check-up where we got to hear the heartbeat (to be honest, it took her what felt like forever to find it, and I had a moment of panic). Once she did find it (phew!), she had to keep moving the doppler around because he was moving so much! I am measuring fine, gaining weight appropriately, good blood pressure, and I guess we'll find out lots more about Sammy in just three weeks. My new concern now is about the doctors and method of delivery we've chosen, pronounced by the other big baby thing we started this week: Bradley Birthing Method classes (www.bradleybirth.com). We're very excited to be learning about relaxation, exercise, and nutrition as a means to trying to have a natural birth. To be honest, I never thought I'd even like to try having a natural birth, but after reading about all the benefits to mother and baby (connection, bonding, likeliness of breastfeeding) and all the drawbacks to drugs (increased likelihood of c-section among them) . . . well, I just feel impassioned about at least trying to go au naturale. Anyways, I recently heard an analogy that you wouldn't go to Burger King for a steak dinner because that's not what they specialize in . . . and you don't go to a hospital/OB for a natural birth because that's not what they specialize in. Now, I'm not freaking out about all this, but all these thoughts (and I admit, propaganda in some senses!) has left me with lots to ponder.

Any advice? (I hear some of you saying - RELAX)!

Speaking of relaxing, that brings me to some other thoughts recently. It's ironic that this Bradley Method I'm subscribing to is focused on relaxing. I don't relax well - yet it's a practice I feel very challenged to more recently. My high strung ways cannot always be healthy for this little one growing inside of me. So yeah, our first Bradley class this week (which is another topic in itself - just like out of a movie, sitting in a comfortable living room with 6 other couples, all the women big-bellied. We all have this ONE big thing in common, and maybe nothing else - who knows? And yet we're all watching graphic movies, practicing funny exercises, and eventually laying on the floor as the husbands massage the wives). In short, I'm trying to relax about class - I mean, there are a LOT of exercises you're supposed to do every day, you're supposed to track what you eat every day, relax for 20 minutes twice a day. I started to get all tense thinking of it as one more thing. BUT, I'm relaxing into it - I hope - and just doing what I can to, well, relax. Do I sound convincing to anyone? I'm not oblivious to the vicious cycle of getting stressed about being stressed - oy. On another note, I think it is going to be so helpful for Trevor and I to feel more connected through this whole process - I mean, he's the coach! And he has a hard job too, all the supporting, encouraging, coaching, massaging . . . watching what I eat, ha ha. I'm excited to continue this journey and for his constant love and support. We were just talking today how we're being taught to see birth as an athletic event for which we're in training (well, he was good to remind me that I am in training - he is coaching. Ha! The analogies are fun and helpful).

I am continually amazed, blessed, and thankful for the generosity of so many friends - about 6 weeks in I literally started praying, "God, I would love some help and hand-me-downs . . . but don't know who or how to ask - so please just let the right people offer . . ." God is good, and people are so very generous. From bella bands, to breastfeeding books (and all manner of other kinds of books!), to maternity clothes, baby boppies, a sling, and more maternity clothes. Well, God knows how I love to shop (read sarcasm) and so I'm just amazed to not have had to go out and get almost anything . . . yet. I know I will have to. Soon. And then there's my amazing parents who toiled with us on two trips to IKEA last weekend to help us get some very cheap bedroom furniture that will allow us to now furnish our nursery (and they saved things from my baby-hood that we will be using, crib, rocking chair, high-chair - meaningful and useful!). THANK YOU ALL, you know who you are. And on top of all that, just when Trevor was saying, "Where are we going to put all this furniture (bike, bookcase, desk, bed . . . )?" to which I said, "One thing at a time, one thing at a time" - some dear friends let us know they'd love to borrow the guest bed and our desk for their home. THANK YOU. These small things are so comforting and remind me that everything will be prepared and will get done - one thing at a time.


1 comment:

  1. My boydar is pinging--I think you're having a little Sammy too, not a little Sami.

    Remember your Kegels!

    ReplyDelete