Thursday, September 3, 2015

Birthday Girl

I don't know how a birthday could spread out any further. Why not? For the record, Karis is already talking about her 7th birthday. 

But, just so she remembers 6 in journal form, here is the tell is as it is (hoping that someday Karis will enjoy reading this). 

The party started with a Perkins breakfast with the Pope/DeKrey clan in Duluth where we were gathered for a wedding weekend -  sprinkle pancakes & a candle-lit cookie and a shy, tired girl just getting into party mode.

(a week early) Friend party! Little Mermaid. Pink cupcakes with green frosting/pearls. Capri Sun and candy and chips and grapes and cheese sticks. Simple. Laid back (no, not laid back - just, not scheduled with games or anything) time of play and treats and outside running around. Lovely time of connecting for all ages, it was special to see what amazing friends Karis has and how they fully entered into the joy of the day - not to mention the awesome moms who appreciate her for who she is. So much love. And also generous gifts, I was really amazed and grateful for all the expressions of gracious hearts. Oh, and the forecast was for seriously almost guaranteed rain - it cleared off in time to load up the plates and have all 17 kids and their mommas outside. Amazing. Special to the occasion was that cousin Courtney was there.

That week ended with a gma/gpa visit - a morning arrival with sweet & generous gifts, received a yum and gorgeous cake from Bis, then a trip to Millenium Gardens, Big Bowl/Lunds, rest in front of Anastasia . . . breakfast the next day at D & M's, dinner all together at The Old Spaghetti factory (cotton candy drink! Ariel balloon! Tummy ache!). Countless memories made, savoring every one.

Next was the pre-birthday party at Uncle S & Aunt D's to celebrate all August Pope birthdays (there are 3!). Super fun, Karis felt very celebrated and I hope Steve & Kate did, too.

THE day was a gorgeous (hot) one, and all went according to plan with some sweet surprises thrown in.

- Breakfast in bed (lucky charms, flowers and a pack of gum on the side)
- Face-timed with grandparents, so fun
- Harvested her first yellow tomato (on the plant that she considers "hers")
- Received a recorder, little tambourine, Pippi Longstocking
- My parents found a crazy deal on coffee(and are going to share the bounty here - oh, thank you), because moms needs birthday treats too
- While playing at French Park with some pals, ran into the wife of a former coworker of Trev's. Fun to catch up
-  Karis wanted to read Runny Babbit, and we stumbled on an apt story (picture below)
- Lots of watermelon and cake
- Cousin Courtney dropped off a card and stayed for some coffee and chats
- THE EXPO! Met dear friends for an epic event in Plymouth for National Night out. They kids went in a: helicopter, firetruck, school bus, SWAT vehicle, held a firehouse, filled a bag with goodies, and gathered material for lively conversation for years to come. So special.
- Bummer, Trev home sick/working in bed. Upside, he was home . . . and able to join us to have Q Doba at home
- A random read of Becky's Birthday by Tasha Tudor, a super story set in August. One of my fave parts is when Becky picks flowers for her parents (I do think birthdays are also for parents, after all)
- The week continued in celebratory spirit with a Parker's Lake playdate, extravagant birthday picnic provided by our dear neighbor friends at Weaver Lake (swimming included), and a little adventure to Westwood nature center
- And the post-party was when more Gma Gpa love arrived for partying and gifts and even a special talent show led by our very own Special K (with a "REAL microphone!" at Steve/Deb's home. It was very impromptu, well done, confidently delivered, engaging and invigorating)

Karis - you are a joy bringer! I love who you are. Your name means "Grace" or "Gift", you live those words every day. Your expressions of love are pure - you run up to me with hugs, you treat your brother with the fruits of the spirit, you are thoughtful and vibrant and kind to everyone you meet. Your imagination is deep, and you welcome others into your creations. You often talk and sing to yourself and seem so comfortable with your own company. You engage others with insightful and relevant questions, you make others feel loved and special. You love to have people over any time of day, you greet the neighbors any chance you can, your zest for life is contagious. You're eager always to hear our plans for each week - especially when they involve friends. You're quite the party planner and your ideas evolve and happen and make memories for many. 

I wish I could go back and see you at every age and stage . . .  I LOVE that you are growing, learning, thriving. And yet what I would give to hold you again for the first time. It's one of life's most humble gifts to your mother, to get to spend the days with you, to watch who you are becoming. You are special, beautiful, loved. The rare times that I put you to bed (lately this is your special time with daddy), I whisper into your ear gifts you've been given, ways that you are special - I will never run out of things to say. I pray you'll always know you are the one and only ever you - and that YOU are dearly loved and deeply beautiful just as you are. Always and forever. No matter what.

Recent images of Karis & a day in her life:


Watching her set out her clothes for the Duluth wedding . . . carefully behind the rocker in her room: polka dot dress, zebra tights, toms shoes. A little bowl with water and a washcloth ready to wash her face when she woke up.


At her six year well check, chatting with her doctor with enthusiasm and receiving shots with hardly a flinch.


She sets up little stations in her room that are ever changing. A recent delight is two "beanie balls" from Grandma Carole that she takes good care of - they have telephones through which she can reach them at all times (empty toilet paper tubes with Lisa Frank stickers on them). Ozzie & Owlie have play dates and food, take naps and talk. I'm grateful she's let me enter this world and consults me on their care - ha! 

Crying for about a half hour when Trevor left for a weekend bachelor party. I love seeing her feel deeply, she has a lot of love in her heart.


Her passion for party planning - recently an end of summer make up party she and some dear friends have been dreaming about for many months. 


She talks about Christmas almost every day, and has been crafting gifts for all the grandparents. 


She is beyond sweet and patient with Judah. Recently we woke him up from a nap and he went to give her a hug - the look on her face, she just melted. 

Karis, a day in your life is pretty sweet. You wake up around 6:15 and you love to have time in your room until seven-zero-zero (usually we're together by 6:45, getting ready in the bathroom). Sometimes I bring up a little cup of Lucky Charms for you to enjoy, you love that. We cuddle in your rocker and read from Jesus Storybook Bible and pray for the fruits of the Spirit before getting Judah up a little after 7 (we need them). You either pull a stool into his room or play in your room while he slowly adjusts to the day in his rocker/my lap. You and Judah go down the stairs on your bellies for breakfast (you love hot buttered honey toast) and "morning work" (helping unload the dishwasher). You lead Judah in playing many games . . . "slip slide in your socks", jump in the trampoline with legos (it's loud), play in cozy corners behind chairs, go in the backyard. We usually have an outing/play date from about 9 - 11:30, when we get home you zip up to your room to organize whatever treasures you gathered on our outing (such as random cardboard from Costco, stickers or little trinkets friends pass along to you). We get lunch ready and eat outside on the deck steps while I sit between you and Judah and read books (you love cheesy rice, nachos, quesadillas, melon of any kind, milk, green beans - you eat most anything). While Judah naps, you: have "work time" where you usually paint or draw or create crafts. Then we read together for about 45 minutes in the wing chair - you want me to put my arm around you. We read from "the reading book", which is sometimes fun and sometimes not but you always want to do it (you're learning so much, it's amazing to watch it all click). Then we "read Laura" (whatever Little House book we're on, you love this) and random picture books like Milly Molly Mandy, Babar, Frances.  You next enjoy movie & treat time - usually licorice or some other sweet treat while watching Mr. Rogers or Creative Galaxy or Winnie the Pooh. We often squeeze in a game of bingo before getting Judah up. Lots of outside time (your recent fave is the kiddie pool) or another play date, bath, dinner (you love meat and potatoes, noodles, corn on the cob and dessert of any kind), "first vitamin", time upstairs with daddy and Judah, bedtime routine (you and me in the rocker for our little routine, then daddy lays and reads with you and lays there for a few minutes). You seem to love the rhythm of the day and knowing what's coming next. We still cuddle at bedtime and I trust you will be in my lap for many years to come, you love to snuggle (you're increasingly cuddly). 

Some non birthday inner stuff: 

In one day I read 2 such similar things in different places that I guess I need to pay attention . . . 


"Don't be a victim of the urgent. In the long run, much of what seems so pressing right now won't even matter. What you do with your children will matter forever . . . " (from The Five Love Languages of Children)

"Said the Robin to the Sparrow, 
'I should really like to know
Why these anxious human beings
Rush about and hurry so.'

"Said the Sparrow to the Robin, 
'Friend, I think that it must be
That they have no Heavenly Father
Such as cares for you and me.'"
- Elizabeth Cheney, 1859 (quoted in Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing)

There must be a metaphor here somewhere . . . 


In May a friend brought over a plant with beautiful pink flowers - so I potted it in the backyard, and it keeps looking like it's totally done and then I water it anyway indefinitely and sure enough flowers appear at random times. It's gone through a few cycles of this, and it's just beautiful to me and has been a small delight this summer.

Moms need assistants, or something  . . .

It's been a bit of a self-care summer here. Small things, such as I hadn't been to the dentist in a really really long time and finally did. We crossed of physicals, dentist, dermatologist, hair cuts. Satisfying. I've been reminded recently (in some reading, yes) that parents ideally should set the example of "my kids aren't the center of the universe" . . . and "our kids need to see that we respect ourselves and have boundaries too - to take care of ourselves". I doubt I'm the only one who finds this harder than it seems it should be. I read in two different places this week the reminder of balance and self care being for parents setting an example for children to follow/respect. I hadn't considered that view in a while - to set the example of self-care/self-respect for the sake of my children. That they might learn the same for themselves someday. Hmmm. Makes me feel good about this season of going to bed early/getting up early (for the quiet, the caffeine, the endorphins) and then doing some mommy lay down time in the afternoon. The idea of self care always feel so - selfie - but is increasingly necessary. 

A random quote from a big summer read, The Count of Monte Cristo . . .


"Ah, maternal love is a great virtue, a powerful motive - so powerful that it excuses a multitude of things . . . "

A couple little reminders this week: 

"If you catch yourself becoming frustrated because your toddlers are being naughty and won't allow you to check them off and move on to other important tasts, it's time to pull out the most lethal punishments. This could mean tackling them and kissing them all over their bodies, pausing long enough to particularly persecute them on their tummies. Or it could mean tormenting them with a good dose of Tickle Torture. Or you may just have to grab them and hug them until they beg and squeal for mercy. Above all, thank God for the prividlege of being a parent . . ."

"God can use our weaknesses, whether or not we feel we're being effective parents. But that still doesn't make the process easy . . . " (Creative Correction)

I love when friends tell me back things I've told them. That happened this week, and I am re-instituting my mantra that we are all the ones we need in each other's lives: I am the mom my kids need, the wife Trevor needs. He is the husband I need, my kids are the ones I need. To live in a safe place together where we make mistakes and learn, where we laugh and cry and repair and rejoice. We are not perfect, we are iron sharpening iron, and we are all on this journey together. I am truly grateful and humbled-every-day to be experiencing life in this way. 


Karis-isms: 

- "I can't wait to watch the cul-de-sac fill up with cars!" (for her friend b-day party)
- "I hope I feel special and loved" (when I asked her what she hoped for on her b-day)
- "Well . . . I won't really turn six until this afternoon"
- "Am I six yet?" (asked at the exact moment of her birth time)
- "Mommy I think I like the cards the best . . . because I can see if there's money in them!"
- "My favorite part was watching everyone eat their huge blow pop suckers. And the presents"
- "Oh, that wind must be from the north!"
- "I bet there are pink cats in Disney World"
- "Look! I'm strong like Pippi Longstocking!" (while carrying her bike)
- "Oh don't worry, mommy, we DID plant something I like to eat. I just LOVE basil" (that sweet girl)
- "Yeah, she said she even takes a little bit of your pee and tests it - I do NOT want to be one of those, that sounds like a disgusting job" (talking about my cousin who is a phlebotomist)
- "I'm drawing a duck and those bubbles above her head are her thinking about her babies" (so sweet, pic below)
- "Daddy Andy says he uses the yankers to pull teeth out!" (i.e. pliers)
- "What's all the cryin' about?"
- "Sorry Ozzie, I can't bring you sweet corn right now" (reference above telephone activity with beanie balls)
- "Can I take a toothpick upstairs so I can give Ozzie a shot?"
- "Momma, I like brothers, but sometimes they're just so crazy around me"
- "I heard you telling Judah that I'm a good big sister"
- "Mom! Last night I dreamed about Laura and Mary, that we went to McDonalds with them and had french fries and burgers!" 
- "How exactly do people die?"
- "Why exactly can we not put plastic bags over our head?"
- "Mommy, what's your favorite part of Winnie the Pooh?"
- "Look mom, I made my sweater into a leash for my lion!" (so inventive)
- "Yeah mom, pirates eat cardboard!" (playing with cardboard in the kiddie pool. Whatever makes you happy, kids . . . )
- "I love winning, momma. It's my favorite thing"
- "I don't know why they call them cowboys, they ride horses so they should call them horse boys"
- "I wish I was in a land where I could sew all I wanted and didn't have to thread my needles"
- "Mommy, what do you think Ozzie should have for dinner?" I answered "tomatoes". She replied, "I don't have tomatoes I only have chicken and corn on the cob" (the only play food she had relocated to her room)


Judah jibes:
- "Two HUGE fingers! Mommy, Judah both have FINGERS!"
- "Other one crabapples! Put in the car!" (new game, finding crabapples and putting them in the trunk of his little coupe)
- "Probably throw it!" (a new addition to bedtime routine, he throws his blanket when I turn out the light and then says "Mommy get it!")
- "Hold mommy's make up!"
- "Little man make Judah HUGE puppy balloon!" (Old Spaghetti Factory)
- "Little man jump in the POOL!"
- "Tiger ride!" (nightly tradition with Trevor)
- "Dinnerrrrrrrrrrr!" (as he literally skips to the table for dinner. He and Karis sit on stools beside each other, love it)
- "Other one Corduroy music! Other one Caps for Sale!" (books on tape we continually listen to in the car. Continually)
- "Judah like a baby!" (wants me to carry him like a baby)
- "Read Thank you God! Read Rhymes!" (latest fave books)
- "There's no bee, mommy"
- "Pretend bee on the box"
- "It's a boat potato! It's a boat graham cracker! It's a boat cheese!" (pretends his bitten food is a boat)
- "No eat cookie in bed!" (and he didn't - the cookie I gave him on the way to nap stayed half eaten on his night stand)
- "Close it far as it goes!" (when zipping up my sweatshirt)
- "Friends came Judah house make up party. Pink krispy bar!" (he quite enjoyed a movie and outside time - and did want to put on a dress at the end of it all)
- "Hi Mommy" (said so sweetly when I went in one night when he was banging on the door with his feet . . . his way of saying "please come in here and change my dirty diaper before I go to sleep")




Weaver Lake
Fire hose




Westwood Nature Center






Zoolander face at well checks


No comments:

Post a Comment