Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Valentines

The latest quotable comes from The Scarlet Pimpernel:

"The weariest nights, the longest days, sooner or later must perforce come to an end."

Indeed! There have been some weary nights and long days, for sure. But I also know this season is fleeting and so am trying so hard to live in the moment.

The moments have held many memories, this week was special because of Valentine's Day. Karis appropriately picked out a fancy red dress (pictures below), which she wore all day. Little girl had an ear infection, so we laid low. We went to Caribou for a coffee date, which was hilarious. She sipped her smoothie and told me all about "her kids", telling me what they did when they born. Karis hilarious! Judah slept through the whole thing (I sure hope he tolerates coffee dates someday). A dear friend delivered cookies and frosting to our door, so that provided a creative diversion. Another friend without young kids and not afraid of our bad germs came by to help decorate them. We whipped up some red jello and made heart jigglers. And no V-day would be complete without our Pope family tradition of buy-one-get-one-free Q doba for dinner.

My favorite part of Valentine's Day was when Trevor came home bearing cards for me and Karis - the smile that lit up Karis's face will remain in my memory . . . she took the card to bed, and when Trevor went in to rub her back (bedtime is a whole other story now, uff da) she was reading it. Still my heart!

Last weekend was many things: interesting, joyful, miserable, ironic. Trev was supposed to be on the men's ski retreat and so my precious mother and grandmother booked tickets to take care of the rest of us here during his absence. Well, we got slammed with what appears to have been "the" flu: respiratory version, aches, chills. I escaped pretty well with just a couple quite uncomfortable days, Karis's lingered and turned into an ear infection, Trevor was in the basement for three days straight. THANK GOD my mom and grandma were here - sickness coupled with a snowstorm would have made me go crazy if I were alone. And also thank God Judah escaped illness. A couple of my closest cousins were also in town and we did manage to have some fun with some meals out and in with them. Memorable!

Valentine's Day this week was the most gorgeous sight with snow on the trees and the sun shining. Again, trying to soak in the moments that make up the days. I'm even getting a box packed here and there, which feels like quite an accomplishment. Not to mention, getting rid of loads of clutter. So cleansing.




No comments:

Post a Comment