Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day

I feel like there are a lot of unexpressed expectations for Mother's Day . . . and always so much to think about. The "Prayers of the People" this morning acknowledged that the day is a blessing to celebrate and yet for so many can be one of grief. So many who want to be moms, or have lost their mothers, or have a disrepaired relationship . . . well, there are a range of emotions for many.

The closing of the prayers this morning was this:
"O God, you have prepared for those who love you such good things as surpass our understanding: Pour into our hearts such love towards you, that we, loving you in all things and above all things, may obtain your promises, which exceed all that we can desire"

Loved that. I think Mother's Day for many can bring to the surface some hearts' desires. I love the reminder that God's promises fulfill all of them (although maybe not in the way or timing we would choose).

Something else I've been talking about with friends and seems to be a theme is the thought of expectations on Mother's Day (I think expectations for any "holiday" can be an good thing to explore and discuss). I want to not expect much, but there is still this weight of expecting . . . something. Except, I don't always even know what? Just a thought to throw out there.

One more Mother's Day comment: I adored this blog post, it made these feelings of "YES" rise up in my soul and I have to record it here if only so I can come back and look at it from time to time. This mother thing can feel weight-y if I let it . . . such a precious child of God entrusted to my care, such responsibility.  And yet, we are both God's.

Karis is keeping things light and busy around here, I'm so thankful to be able to learn more about who she is every day. She is a character! I'm learning that she loves to explore wherever we are, and one sure way to do that is to wield the phrase: "I have to go potty". That way, she knows she can at least check out the bathroom. Nine times out of ten, she'll just sit there and giggle and survey her surroundings without a single tinkle. It cracks me up.

I love the way she says, out of the blue, in a deep and drawn out voice, "Mommmmmaaaaa". Still my heart.

I treasure the way she adores Trevor, follows him around in the yard, came in one night because she needed "garden gloves" (pink winter gloves) to match his (his were not pink).

I enjoy watching when she sees people she loves, she gets so excited that she can't contain herself and has to run all over the place and put on a little show.

Out of nowhere today she said to Lukas, "Bless your heart!". ! Oh my goodness, I melted! Seeing what a good reaction the phrase got, she starting "Bless your heart" to everything: me, her shoes, her dresses . . .



Picture from Easter, close enough to Mother's Day . . . 








No comments:

Post a Comment