Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Day

May Day, defined (by wikipedia):
1 - an emergency procedure word used internationally as a distress signal in voice procedure radio communications
2 - an ancient northern hemisphere spring festival and usually a public holiday; it is also a traditional spring holiday in many cultures

I have some great memories of filling up (and receiving) dixie cups full of sugar-y stuff on sunshine-y May 1sts. Karis and I had fun ringing a few bells today.  

Last week we had a hosting high as we welcomed some dear people into our home. First, M & C joined us for a weekend that ended up feeling like a staycation to us: walks, bakeries, coffee, bookstores, simple meals, and neglected housework. Staying up past our bedtime, talking, laughing, encouraging. A beautiful boost to our routine days. 

Then my dad was here for a couple days, and we had a refreshing time with him: a dinner of "small plate" offerings from Trader Joes, he chased Karis around "the field", chatting till bedtime in the basement, lunch on the patio of a favorite cafe. It was sweet, when we dropped him off for the meetings that brought him to this area, Karis said, "Grandpa has to go back to grandma." Yes, Karis, indeed.  

Switching gears to random reflections: 

Trevor and I love to tell people about Karis's elaborate bedtime routine. It's about twenty steps long and at least that many minutes. However, we just realized that when one of us is gone, bedtime is lickity split. I had this moment of realization that her long bed-time is really created  by Trevor and me, we really savor that time of connection among the three of us and I think we prolong the event ourselves and Karis just goes along with it. It's precious that we can create routines together and make memories in the daily-ness of life.

We came across a verse this week that I thought was so appropriate: "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). BE STILL. Lately, Trevor and I have been talking about how hard it is for us to just stop. We like to be busy, get things done, see people, go places. Mostly we're okay, but we're both trying to examine what balance looks like in our family.

Our Reading Rainbow lately:
Karis's latest faves are Animal Babies, Hand Hand Fingers Thumb, A is for Annabel, Nursery Rhymes, Ferdinand the Bull, Blueberries for Sal



I've been enjoying some riveting reads that leave much to contemplate: The Gifts of Imperfection, Anna Karenina, China Road, My Life With the Saints, Dallas & The Spitfire, Simplicity Parenting.


Things you might hear Karis say this week:
- "Ohhhh yeahhhh" (said just like Trevor says it, hilarious every time)
- "No mommy do morning devotions! No mommy read Rhyming Bible" (what is it that is so intrinsic to want to do anything but read the Bible sometimes?! I'm trying to make it as fun as possible!)
- "No mommy ________" (talking, putting my hair up, putting on a sweatshirt . . . anything.)
- "What IS that one?"
- "No way!"
- "Mommy sit RIGHT HERE!" (I am mandated to do many things throughout the day)
- "You so goofy girl" (a rendition of what when we call her a goofy girl)
- "Watch ride in an automobile?" (latest fave youtube Sesame Street video)
- "Go to lake! Be so tall!" (referencing walking on a block wall on a trail by a lake last weekend)
- "Actually. Exactly" (two of her new favorite words)
- " (insert name of any of Karis's friends coming over) NOT gonna take the bike away" (um, a little possessive of her bike!)
- "Bye ______, say hi to _________!" (she knows who goes in pairs and if one person is missing she makes sure to tell the present person to say hi to the absent one. She is a parrot, I didn't realize how often Trevor and I do this until Karis picked up on it. It's way cuter to hear it from her than us!)
- "Keep in my bed a little longer" (I've said it before, this family enjoys their sleep)

Assembly required

Karis picked out her outfit this morning and said, "My May Day dress!"


1 comment:

  1. OK I am all caught up on your blog. You have been writing a lot more lately! And it is all great. Karis is just so adorable. I read your reflections and remember when Jake was that little and we were partners in crime and I couldn't imagine ever not remembering every detail. So precious.

    ReplyDelete