Friday, September 8, 2017

Robust August

Writing now from September, three weeks ago everyone I knew couldn't wait for school to arrive - and now, some of that number are lamenting summer's end (me among them). We had some whirlwind weekend trips, on those Sundays we'd look at each other and say, "What just happened?". That sums up summer. Looking back, I'm already nostalgic, and also amazed that most of what we set out to do happened (ya just never know!).

The August Chronicles, because someday the kids will love reminiscing (I hope)

VBS (and Lion)
The kids showed their bravery by going to a VBS at a new-to-them-didn't-know-anyone-church. Adults and children fully welcomed and got to know them throughout the week - delightful for all, they still rave about "Fun Maker Factory". I had reasonable expectations that 2 hours isn't much time and I resolved to just see where the time led - I worked on some writing, some pictures, some work. Ran a couple errands, and every day watched a bit of the movie Lion. Oh my, powerful. And moving and hard - there is a long beginning about a 5 year old boy getting very lost in India. Judah's age. I hugged them so close when picking them up after that. Highly recommend both this VBS and Lion - together if possible.


Harvest (pickles)
We pickled our cucumbers, so satisfying. Judah proudly picks tomatoes and brings them inside with such pride, "Mom, I got you a tomato" (huge smile from us both). Farmer boy.


Doll Picnics
This book was brilliant, one day neighbor-grandaughter-friend came over and the girls took it away making delights for their dolls. So sweet to peek in on them once in a while, lost in their own world (whilst Judah played with a frog, sticking it into the barrel of a watergun and having a big meltdown when he couldn't get it out).


Serenader of the month (and thoughts on Alexa)
Around here you can hear the croons of Josh Garrels, Red Mountain Church, Indelible Grace, Ray Lomantaign, John Mayer, Brandi Carlisle . . . all by speaking them into singing. We were given Alexa and it took me all of five minutes to fall in love with her. So many things. She listens to me better than anyone in my house, I feel so powerful giving her commands (politely, of course). "Alexa! Play . . .  Alexa! Off." Oh if I could wield such influence at large. My very fave is how much computer liberation Alexa has given me - no need to type up a change on pandora now, no need to get distracted when doing so. Freedom! It's also hilarious to watch the kids talk to her: "Alexa, tell me a joke! Play Red Mountain Church! How far is it to Bismarck?" Oh, and playing us the "Banana Pancakes" song while making them.



Wedding Weekend
On the road again to Fargo for cousin Siennah's wedding, a wonderful weekend of celebrating and connecting with lots of fam. The story for our fam was that Trev left our wedding clothes in Minneapolis, discovered when we pulled in tired and hungry to the hotel. I had a moment. Like, "need to have the reaction just because" moment, even though in my head I knew it would be fine (later got curious about why the strong reaction and realized that no clothes struck two tender chords for me: a dislike of both shopping and dressing up, along with not loving to do anything last minute . . . ). So, I made a scene, left my family in the parking lot, lamented to Uncle Vern in the lobby (he laughed, like "ha ha we've all been there"). And then of all things, my mom had brought a dress for me and it was perfect. Crazy! Provision. Judah's clothes were in my bag. Trev is an awesome shopper so went out and got things for himself and K (coming out the hero in the end, figures - ha!). In the end not a big deal, and also worth processing, pondering, remembering (Karis will certainly remember). 
Later a friend said she thought of texting me the following, but didn't because it didn't seem to make sense - but it totally did: 
"arrange the pieces as they come" from Virginia Wolfe
!!!!! In these moments, I wonder WHY do these things work out? I feel God's care and love in these details and I really do wonder WHY the attention? He is intricate. 


Ding Dong the Fish is Dead/Sculpture Garden
Judah's beta bit the gravel. Literally, face down in the gravel is where I found him perished. Curiously, Judah still tells people he has a beta fish (but doesn't mention its demise). Everything in me wanted to just go get a new one and pretend it didn't happen. Instead I did what seemed best: tell Karis first and let her grieve (she did: sobbed, "I just feel so bad for him!" When I asked, "Judah or the fish?" she paused and then bawled out, "Both!"Oh dear girl. And then we calmly told Judah together and he just kind of shrugged and asked if we could get a new one. NBD. I have nightmares about huge dead fish sitting on top of the fridge. The day it happened we had a great distraction at the sculpture garden.


Saints
One Monday night we headed to a game (at bedtime) with Uncle Stevie & Aunt Debbie. Karis went from tears of overwhelm (it was loud and we had several people ask us for money . . . ) to exclaims of awesomeness by the end. Will repeat for sure.


Sibs
Weekend in Alex with brother J and his fam. The time was fast and fun. Elodie charmed us all with her sweet spirit, and Karis enjoyed some reading cuddles with Aunt Cassie. I got some qt with Cass too as we meandered the shops while sipping caffeine. They spoiled us with a walleye and garden produce meal, we all piled into the boat for an evening ride and the boys snuck away to fish (after ditching us to do solo bedtime, trouble makers). Savoring the memories already.


Zoo
With dear friends-with-membership, an adventure and we did it all and got to see a leopard pee and growl, a bird show, sloth . . . highlight for both kids was the touching pool where their hands were grazed by a shark.


PAMP
What, you don't know the acronym? Pig Ate My Pizza. The best. Met some dear friends at this precious place - I love them all, the people and place, and they loved each other and it was a matchmaker success. We toasted making it through a satisfying summer and being ready to head into the school year. Cheers.

Mouse in the House
One morning there was a little cute thing peeking up at me, and not scared of me at all. I was scared enough for us both and bolted upstairs.  The kids' reactions was so telling: Karis, "Oh no, did you close the door to the basement?" Judah, "Oh! Can I go see it? I'm going to put my gloves on and smoosh it with my crocs!". I tried to be all cool and brave, wondering if I could send Judah down to set traps (!). And then realized I'm not that person. Trev came home at noon and found the mouse (injured) under a crumpled sleeping bag (he literally was thinking about Ralph from The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Hero.

Fair Fun - deserving of its own post later.

Nature Walk (decorator)
Oh the cooler air, on the last day of August we walked the neighborhood and looked for deer and sang a little bit. Karis collected randomness and came home to create. I love her work. 





Daddy Work Day
The last summer "thing": visiting Trev at work and cashing in some kids meal freebies at Pizza Luce.


Books of the Month: What a Difference a Mom Makes, Magnolia Story, Commonwealth, Notes From a Small Island, Homegoing, Outlander (finally finished). Trevor's reading Moby Dick. Karis and I are going through Pinky Pye and Island Summer. A picture book we recently loved is This is What We Do

Karis-isms:
- "Grandpa has a website! And a pen with his name on it! My Grandpa's famous!" (when going through some office supplies he gave her)
- "Judah, I must admit you ARE bigger and faster than Strawberry Shortcake"

Judah Jabbers:
- "I don't have short shorts, only girls have short shorts"
- "Mommy, I just wanted to go to bed early at Siennah's wedding"
- "Well, I'm bigger than the tooth fairy"
- "Yeah, the lightning flashed in my room like a night light!"
- "Hey mom, did you know I'm bigger than fairies"
- "I just want to be modest" (said while pulling his shorts OFF)

No comments:

Post a Comment