Friday, June 23, 2017

May Day(s)

The usual catch all/catch up journal-ish way . . .

May Day
Raining, pouring, donut eating play date here, paper bags full of treats, knocking on doors, giggling, memory making.

Swimming
The splurge for the school worked. Even missing several lessons, these kids rocked it and made wild progress. Judah went from being scared to dip his head in the water, to being able to swim with his head in the water (supported by a floatie). He still doesn't like to be wet/sprinkled. Karis maybe swims better than me now and her joy in this sport is through the roof.

Frog & Toad, Best Day Ever (caution)
"SEEDS, START GROWING!". That's my favorite quote from Frog and Toad, we say it all the time around here. We got to visit the Children's Theater to see this production (after listening to and reading the books over and over). SO FUN. Just a sweet memory with my kids, laughing and seeing art unfold. Oh we laughed.

And here's what happened that day. We were driving to the show and it was just one of those mountaintop days. Do you know the kind? Sun shining, everyone feeling happy (at the same time). A "house doctor" dude had been to our home that morning, and told us that what we thought might be a lot of work needing to be done was actually just fine (except, "I have to come back tomorrow and look around the attic"). We were flying high on this particular Wednesday. And I remember thinking prayerfully, "Wow, this is a special day - not every day is going to be like this, days like this are rare. Help me now to just savor and enjoy it, and help me to be grateful no matter what, even when the days are dark."

Well, the next day, sure enough . . . the attic diagnosis ended up being bleak, and the news felt crushing at the moment. Karis cried because she couldn't find something before school. Judah spilled water on himself (which is tragic to this sweet sensitive boy) on the way to work and I didn't have extra clothes (he walked around with a towel between his legs all morning and didn't want to see anyone). And in the midst while driving I thought, "Well, here it is. Time to call on that gratefulness." And that might sound cheesy, and it's just so real and powerful. We got to church and got to process out loud the happenings in real time, which was meaningful. And to be honest, for the next week, things like that just happened. Nothing tragic and awful, just things. Times like this I think we're practicing our thought choices and attitudes and reactions . . . name the pain, say the ick, get it out, call on gratitude. At the time it was all visceral, the lesson unfolding.

NBD Gardening, Update
Seeds, they started growing! So fun to scatter seeds, even if just to see the green sprouts. Love my little helpers, Judah had fun with a visiting turtle one afternoon. Also, something is chomping our pretty flowers in the front yard.


Friend Friday
With my college bestie and her two little boys. Oh the hilarity. To get to chat and watch our kids and do all the routines together, how could we have envisioned all this 15 years ago. 15 years!

Mother's Day
I finally had appropriate expectations, it's taken this long. Delightful day of being with my family, pre-church-family-nap (ha), planting, Trevor did landscaping (thank you!), free free free winner dinner at Damico, sat in the yard and looked at photo albums of baby Karis, ahhhh, it was just sweet and fun and I sure soaked in time with my littles. There was a time when all I wanted for Mother's Day was a nap and a quiet house - and while those things are crave-able still, on this day the gift was in togetherness.

Bismarck-bridal-shower-trip
We took a quick trip to Bis for my cousin's bridal shower, so fun to connect with family and explore and drive (yes, drive - pictured below, so wonderful to see dreams come true for my kids! I always wanted one of these, wouldn't it feel so free to drive one of these?). A day on the prairie including exploring the new barn, and then a day at the shower with fabulous fam, and my mom's help driving us to and from Bis (so appreciated), sweet memories.

Meadow Man and Field trip Fairy
School has become a safe and sacred place for both kids, Karis loved a recent field trip and Judah continues to frolic in the nearby meadow.


Pretend Last Day of School
Because we're into early celebrations here. On a Wednesday, just because. Classmate play date for Karis, McD's for dinner (my mom always took us there on the last day of school, sweet memories). The last week of school was a blur of classmate playdates, picking up donations for the Shakespeare Festival, getting ready to head outta town.

Books
A Little Life (epic, beautiful, hard to read. And oh my word, some of the quotes - too many to write here. And Frog and Toad was referenced, which was wild)
Out of the Dust, a young adult novel about a girl in the dustbowl in the 30s

Finishing Things
Mostly, Gilmore Girls. Oh, why can't good things just go on and on and on and on? What I loved about this show (well, just one of the things), Trev could pop in and enjoy it at any point. And he did enjoy it. And I could analyze their Enneagram numbers and relationships. I recently saw a poster that said, "I'd rather be in Stars Hollow". Sigh. I finished A Little Life in the same week as this, so there's room for some more epic and long media/reading input here - any suggestions?

Trev Tales: 
Work hard, play hard. Race hard. He ran a ten mile trail run in a speedy way, good job Trev. He started reading The Hobbit to Karis at bedtime, reading time all of a sudden got longer. We enjoyed a date to his bro's 30th "Nascar" birthday party, we do love dating.

Karis-isms:
- Oh this girl is growing up. Some sweet times lately are laying in her bed reading Boxcar Children and watching the Great British Baking show
- "I finished the book! I just wanted to come down and tell you" (after bedtime. So dear).
- "I had fun looking at pictures with you" (on Mother's Day, looking at pics when she was a baby)
- "Can we just go to bed please?"

Judah Jabbers:
- "These pants smell stinky, I need new pants"
- "Can you please wrap me up like a burrito?"
- "Mom, TAKE THE RICE KRISPIES OUT OF MY MILK!"
- "Mom, your talking is hurting my ears" (he in a grumpy way, I was simply chatting!)
- "Momma, does the turtle need alone time? He can be my pet"
- "Can you please come help me play?" (at a grad party where he didn't know anyone)
- "Are you going to come give me a good night kiss when you get home?" (if I leave before bedtime)
- "Let's go investigate!"
- "Karisee, bake! We only have 2 more minutes!" (while playing with play-do, imagining the Great British Baking Show)

No comments:

Post a Comment