Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Big 1-0

Things the 22 year old bride couldn't have imagined ten years into the future (including, but not limited to):

Driving around with our kids, singing "Let it Go" louder than them.

That my husband would be more organized than me.

Getting irrationally irritated when he starts cleaning closets and cars, or vacuuming the living room furniture at 10pm after a date.

Looking so forward to quiet dinner dates at small plate restauarants.

Loving how he asks if we should go get Caribou with a guilty look on his face, like we'd be getting away with something if we did.'

Going to a restaurant called "The Pig Ate My Pizza" to celebrate (and furthermore, consuming unidentifiable meat).

Watching our kids as extensions of our love and personhood.

That I would understand his love of Harry Potter books.

That he would understand my love of endorphins.

That marriage would be so fun.

That marriage would be so much hard and refining and illuminating and rewarding work.

That we wouldn't always sleep in the same bed . . . because he'd be on our daughter's floor (careful, this could happen to you, ha!)

That we'd seemingly meet in the middle and influence each other. For example, at restaurants I am now more likely to order a steak and Trevor a salad . . . and Trevor is more disciplined in working out now than I've ever seen him.

That I'd send him a 10th anniversary gift via email. That it would take me ten years to replace the ill-fitting-returned-to-the-store cowboy boots I gave him as a wedding gift.


To mark the celebration (in true gotta extend the party as long as possible), we've enjoyed a series of little things to make the week special and memorable:

- The kids and I ventured downtown to see Trev at his work/meet his coworkers, then went to Rustica bakery for special bread and treats to last a couple dinners

- During bathtime one night I played all the different songs from our ceremony while Karis asked questions about our wedding: There is Love. Threads of Love. Come Thou Fount. How Beautiful. We had a lot of music, goodness.

- We had a great little date to downtown Robbinsdale where we visited Wuollet bakery, had dinner at The Pig Ate My Pizza, and a stop by Caribou on the way home (the kids loved their time with neighbor Chelsea and they were all eager to show us how Judah was chasing the ducks and "quacking). We also watched a favorite "Office" episode after bedtime, and remembered just how great that show is for our marriage.

- There was a "tenth anniversary of your bachelor party" gathering for Trev, including the brothers and Pizza Luce delivered to Dangerous Man Brewery

- I dug out a box of wedding "stuff" that we sorted through after dinner (which was leftovers, in case you're wondering what kind of special meal we had)

- We met my parents in Alexandria and while the kids entertained them, we had a 7 hour date (perhaps the longest time we've been alone together since Karis was born). We canvased the town, covered so much ground in that time: lunch at Broadway Bistro, meandering through a used book store and antique store, a stop at County Market for movie snacks and a text mishap, went to see Maleficent, went to Carlos Creek Winery for short stroll and a tasting, to Zorbaz for guacamole, to Dunn Bros for "bogo" Father's Day coffee. Whew! As it turns out, spending time alone together is really good for your marriage, and it also turns out that we still enjoy each other's company and doing the same things together. What a treat.

- Uncle D & Aunt M came over to do dinner and bedtime while we stole away to Nonna Rosa to squeeze one last toast in. This relaxing time on the restaurant patio included (and was funded by) Trevor's bean bag toss championship status (a work competition)


Karis-isms:
- "Oh, do they take the wind away?" (she was going through our DVD's and found Gone With the Wind)
- (looking at our wedding picture), "It doesn't look like a wedding dress. It looks like just a plain old dress"
- "Mommy, I'm like Sacagawea!" (while dragging Judah around on a blanket . . . and yes, she looked like a picture from one of our books)
- "And I pray that me and Marissa would get along, and I thank you that me and Everett are getting along"
- "Oh, we're so blessed they had donuts left!" (after a trip to a shop that we had heard sells out early)
- "My marker didn't listen to me, so that's its consequence"
- "I better not eat too much fruit so I don't smell like eggs"

Judah updates:
- The boy loves to be outside and will go cry by the back door almost first thing in the morning
- He loves to be wearing something around his shoulders (such as a sleep sack or sweatshirt)
- He insists on wearing his sleep sack on his shoulders (unzipped, like a robe) when he wakes up. Sometimes "needs" to wear it until we go somewhere for the day
- He was hilarious when he put on a lifejacket this weekend, he loved it and danced around like crazy
- He dances like a crazy man to any music, lately Okee Dokee Brothers is a fave
- He is quite wary of new situations, likes to stand by and scope things out before diving in
- He has the roundest, most adorable belly. I carry him around and rub his squishy little tummy
- He carries around the book Snuggle Puppy
- His main mode of communication is grunting
- His sign of choice right now is to raise his arms and wave his wrists. While this is "supposed" to mean "all done", for Judah it means everything ("more", "all done", "get me my milk", get me whatever that is on the table that you're eating", "get me my pootsie" . . . )


Wary little man, scoping out a park before jumping in to explore

Karis at a really cheesy outdoor puppet show that she absolutely loved


No comments:

Post a Comment