Monday, August 20, 2012

Children raising (and praying for) parents

Last week Karis came with me to a meeting at church, she soaked in the time playing with her friends . . . interestingly, though, for the first part of the time she sat right by me, completely attentive to the adults and everything they were saying. Sometimes I feel like I have an "old" young girl, and I appreciate the various situations to watch her personality and thoughts evolve. After each person gave their little update, we prayed for each other - which included standing up and putting our hands on that prayed-for-person's shoulders. Karis would come over and join the prayer-ers, and I was so blessed when she laid her hand on my shoulder and joined the others in praying for me. When we were all done, she asked that we pray for her, and made sure that we stood the exact same way. Ah! It was precious.

I recently saw a book title to the effect of "how children raise their parents" - suggesting that children really shape parents' characters and personal growth. How very, very true. And now I am reminded that  children also pray for parents. I find it easy to think that such things are so one-sided, filtering from parent to child. Not so. Our (amazing) Children's Pastor said something to me that I will remember for a long time - she was saying how sweet it was when Karis prayed, but that it's more than just sweet. We forget that they can be very sincere at this young age as well . . . a humbling reminder of the beauty & purity of the child's heart.

Anyway, Karis is definitely still a young girl, she did go play with her friends during much of the meeting and around the 60 minute mark started parroting the other children with chants of "mommy, can we goooooo?". And don't get me wrong, our moments aren't all sweet - you just get to read about the good ones here.

Speaking of book titles, I recently finished Raising Your Spirited Child. And speaking of children teaching parents, the pages and thoughts of this volume reminded me that I am a spirited adult! I told Trevor he should really read this book as much for marriage as for parenting . . .

In other fun news, we had our 20 week ultrasound today. It was fabulous to be there as a family, Karis did well sitting on Trevor's lap and her favorite question was, "What is the lady doing?" to which Trevor always replied, "Taking pictures of the baby". She also wondered often, "Does it tickle, mommy?" She was curious where the baby's eyes were, that made me laugh - she finally did get to see them, probably not quite the look she was expecting.

The miracle of seeing this baby was just as astounding as it was with Karis (we even had the same tech, so it was a bit deja-vu-ish). This baby is truly "knit together in its mother's womb" . . . little feet, hands, spine, organs. Creation leaves me breathless and in awe. We love this little being to its very core, and it's thrilling to think that soon we will be family of four.

Just like Karis at that stage, this little bean was snug as a bug, comfortable to remain in a curled up (and frustratingly modest) position . . . I went in knowing that we might not get to find out the sex, and really when I saw the beauty of its form I realized that would be okay. However, the tricky tech got a good view at the very last minute (JUST like with Karis - maybe she's a tricky tech who likes to keep people in suspense?!). Clear as day, we could see that Karis has a little BROTHER! WOW. We would have been thrilled either way, of course, but it's beyond wonderful to start talking about and envisioning our SON. WOW.

As Karis and I were driving home after the ultrasound, I heard this radio blurb about "what the unborn tells its mother". Check it out - fascinating. And such perfect timing for our day, a gift. I really loved this quote from the article: "How wise of God to design the process so that when the baby is ready to be born, the mother's convenience must give way to the baby's need. Nor does the baby's birth time depend on the mother's limited understanding of the developing infant."  True, true. 

Karis holding the shirt she picked out on clearance for her baby brother - such a shopper, this one. Ha. 
At the Carver County Fair. Karis's favorite part was the dum-dum sucker she got in a commercial building.




No comments:

Post a Comment