Thursday, March 25, 2010

Rewind and fast forward


Rewind to over a MONTH ago (?!?). Tempus fugit, as they say.

- In late February, we were blessed to bring our youth group on a weekend retreat. We spent the weekend at a beautiful farm where we learned together about (and practiced) spiritual disciplines. We also goofed off, played games, talked a lot, made necklaces, played tons of "Ninja", had a Sunday morning service, and got to know each other better. These youth give me such incredible hope for the future, it's a joy to know them and learn from them.

I hope Karis is as amazing as these girls when she's a teenager
(I mean, she will be, but I'm just trying to say these girls are amazing!)
- In early March Karis and I, along with our good friends Beth and Lukas (8 weeks old at the time) trekked to Bis for a few days of lotsa family and friend time. It was SUCH an amazing trip in so many ways! To travel back with Beth, with whom I graduated from high school, was a crazy rewind feeling . . . we graduated from high school ten years ago and now we're neighbors and have babies and go to the same church. My heart runneth over. The few days there were filled with grandmas & grandpas, cousins, and friends. Karis loved all the attention, she's our little extrovert - she'll smile at anything, like she's begging to be looked at, talked to, smiled at. Also special during this trip was celebrating my dad's --th Birthday! We even had a little date, we went to a cute drug store, a used book sale, and a local bakery. Love of books and reading are things I'm increasingly thankful that my dad and I share - he is ever and always the most amazing father I could ever think to pray for and I thank God for him always.


3 generations . . .

A girl after her tech-y grandpa's heart . . . playing with (trying to eat)
his i-touch (or whatever it's called)
- In mid March we started having little Lukas join us here a couple days a week while his momma gets back into work and school. He is a beautiful boy and makes our days so much fun. Karis is sharing mom pretty well and seems to think Lukas is a very fascinating toy. I can't wait to see them interact more and more.

10 week old Lukas, 7 1/2 month old Karis. Yes, they are the same size!

- We went another place with Karis that I wouldn't bring my kids to: Buster's on 28th, a fun local restaurant/bar on the "south side" of town. There were two babies at our table and one 38 week pregnant friend. We celebrated life and can't wait until said friend welcomes her little girl whose due date is tomorrow! Babies, babies, babies . . . everywhere, babies. I love it!

- We had some crazy play dates with lots of babies. The biggest is pictured here, babies from 10 weeks to 10 months were represented. What a gift to be surrounded by such happy and healthy children. God's goodness surrounds us.

Karis is the smallest, but not the youngest! She's my little bean.
Fast forward to TODAY:

- "They say it's your birthday, na na na na na na, well it's my birthday tooooooo, na na na na na na na" (you know that Beatles song, right?). I'm not usually one to say "it's my birthday", but hey, it IS and I'm really loving it! I'm feeling pretty contemplative today, remembering a year ago when Karis was kicking away in my tummy, not even knowing yet that she was a girl - reading my birthday psalm (as in, the psalm I read every birthday) and thinking of the life growing inside me:

Psalm 139: 13 - 16

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


I always like to remember and celebrate my parents on my birthday. I wouldn't be here without them! Thank you, mom and dad, for being the most amazing parents, for teaching me how to celebrate life (on birthdays and all days) and for loving me always.'

What am I doing today, you ask? Redeeming lots of free goodies - Caribou, Noodles, Coldstone. Some Dutch Blitz with Trevor and my bro. Maybe a movie. I'm excited.

- One more rewind, to almost ten years ago: I have Beth's copy of our senior year yearbook here to peruse. Oh my gosh, looking through the pages and pictures brings back a mix of memories and emotions. So much has happened since then, and I feel so much the same and yet so much different (deep thought, right? Ha. It's all I can muster for now and don't feel like going into details).

- Fast forward: Karis's latest and greatest milestones - sitting up pretty well, saying "da da da da da da" (um yeah, Trevor LOVES this), squealing when Trevor walks in the door (yes, Trevor LOVES this), putting her fingers in her mouth and moving them around while "talking" which results in a hilarious sound (you can do this yourself too, you know, to see what I'm saying. Try it. It's funny). She's snorting and makes funny faces and noises. She loves my water bottle. She loves to eat anything I give her (lately, avocados, bananas, pears, sweet potatoes, and potatoes). She is trying to pull herself up onto her knees (might she crawl soon?). She loves to sit in the glider rocker in the nursery, kick her legs, and then giggle when she makes the chair move. She goes down wonderfully for naps. She kicks in her crib, sometimes in her sleep - lifts up both legs and just bangs them right back down. She also does this on the floor and on the changing table - we have a kicker. She gets up about twice a night. She is the happiest baby I've ever seen and brings joy and life wherever she goes. She is a gift.

Oh man, melt my heart.

Lovin' the laundry basket. I can't wait until she can fold clothes.
I am going to teach her very young.

1 comment:

  1. Love the latest post! Your thoughtfulness, thankfulness, and joy are contagious! So exciting to hear all that Karis can do! Lukas is lucky to have such marvelous ladies to play with all day! I'm packing the bouncy deal I was telling you about - Karis will love it. Do you happen to have a helmet for her? Just a thought (; Beth, Andy & Lukas

    ReplyDelete