Monday, July 13, 2009

I've Got a New Way to Walk

Oh yes, the waddles are back. To be honest, this little girl is quite literally "getting on my nerves". You know, the sciatic one. The shooting pain down the leg with every step, which leads me to walk akimbo. But really, I might as well make the most of them, right? Does anyone remember that song from Sesame Street "I got a new way to walk -walk walk." The tune goes through my head often these days. You can watch and listen to it for yourself! This new way to walk has prompted many a thought, and a couple of stories. The thoughts first:

- I am so very thankful that I can sit comfortably and sleep quite well still

- I would rather have this than heartburn or sickness

- I am thankful to not be on bed rest

- I cannot imagine what people who live with chronic pain go through - at least I know mine will (hopefully) go away when we meet Baby K. My gosh, I have it easy. As Darius Rucker says, "It Won't Be Like This for Long" (that song makes me cry)

- This is a forced season of rest for me. I need to sit. I need to ask for help (laundry, groceries, garbage, watering flowers, everything. And thank God for an amazing husband who is so helpful!). If I were feeling great, I might not pace myself well, so this time to back off the to-dos is okay.

The stories:
- A truly dear coworker last week: "Andrea, are you feeling okay? You don't look so good. (in an apologetic voice) You kind of walk like my grandma." Oh my gosh, what was I supposed to say to that? I think I laughed. A couple other coworkers pointed out to me, "Oh, you look like you're moving a little slow today!" Um yeah, every step hurts. You would be walking like a slow grandma too. I'm laughing as I write this even though I hope it sounds sarcastic.

- Today we went to see the movie Earth. I was inspired by the monkeys and on the way out decided that's kind of what my walk looks like - so I walked out of the movie theater making "eeee eeee eeee" sounds and putting my hands near my armpits.

- Trevor told me my waddle is actually endearing. Isn't that sweet? Quite unfortunately, he thinks he has sympathy pain - his hip really hurts when he walks up stairs. Sad!

Speaking of Trevor, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HIM! He's 28 today, and I'm obviously so glad he was born. God bless you Trevor with the best year yet - it's sure to be an adventure! We've figured out that most years for his birthday my gift to him is usually a party of some kind. I remember our first year married I made a feast in VA complete with orange sorbet in cups made of real oranges, steak, and cheesecake (I've since WAY simplified my cooking!). Last year it was about 25 people for a bbq in our backyard (that was a messy pile of dirt at the time since our patio was in progress).

Here's a pic of the 2008 party

This year it was a grill out party on Friday, a pasta party on Saturday, we'll have a walleye party tomorrow night with family. Good memories! For his actual b-day, we went to see Earth, had take-out meat madness from Famous Dave's, and are going to finish with some Dutch Blitz and Gears of War (I'll let Trevor win this once. Just kidding - I don't even know what Gears of War is, but I know it brings Trevor great joy). Happy Birthday, Trevor!

Speaking of the movie Earth, it was very special to watch it yesterday as so much of the footage and followings were of mothers and their babies! Besides being so darn cute, I was struck by all the natural instincts of animals - everything is just so, well, natural. They're born, they feed, they leave. So yeah, I was kind of comforted thinking WE are so part of God's intricate and natural creation too, so the feeding issue (which I often worry about now) will of course somehow work out. Everything will. It was good to sit in the theater and just think on that.

And speaking of Trevor. Sometimes I get this panic of "I'll never have him all to myself again!" I know it's selfish, but it's true. I find myself just wanting more and more time with him, wondering just how things are going to change - how we're going to change. I know it's a waste to worry in this way, but I wanted to write it down to 1. Get it out of my head, and 2. Look back on and remember how silly I was to even THINK that! We are immeasurably excited to meet Baby K of course, but you know these thoughts are still just sometimes there.

Another thing I'd like to remember - yesterday I received (via Facebook) some sweet postpartum advice from an old friend who's now a mother of two gorgeous girls: "Don't worry about the dishes/laundry/other chores; they won't go anywhere." I like that.

Anyways . . . Pics from the quiet patio party


These boys like their meat


And here's me at 34 1/2 weeks yesterday. Baby K probably weighs about 5 pounds right now! My brother was funny - when Trev was taking the pic Drew said, "Are you sucking in? Let it out!" Yes, I walk around the house with my belly hanging out out my too-short shirts. I refuse to go buy new ones at this point!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you ended with a photo update! You look so cute with those pigtails and a round tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so fun. Happy Birthday to Trevor.

    Your life is going to change so much. Loosing your time with Treavor isn't crazy to feel bad about. But it is worth the trade off for a few years to experience the joy of raising a beautiful child together.

    I can't believe how close you are getting. Will the baby be here when we return from Africa or will it wait for our return?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous!! Just like Andrea but with a baby belly!

    I hated that everything was so short at the end! my advice, invest in one long tank and where it under everything!

    ReplyDelete